March 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Barry Appleby
George

March 2014 Reviews - London

Post by Barry Appleby »

MATINEE THURSDAY 6th MARCH

Yes, 30 years this week since the start of the miners strike, anyway, just a quickie. Not many seats available in the VP for this matinee, a very appreciative audience with many school parties, they loved every moment of it.
Special mention to Craig Armstrong , he worked his socks! off throughout, his antics as Posh dad are outstanding , well worked out with Deka.
Well Done! Bradley a great performance , your dictation is so clear, during the chair scene before Electricity I love the way you show disinterest in Dads remarks, a great ovation for Electricity, so well deserved.
Ably support by Freddie, a real cheeky Michael, with a bit of camp added and a gritty performance from Millie, she tries so hard to get her man, also she gives great facial expressions of disgust.
The 2nd half always gets off to a great start with Howard & Kevin then followed by Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher, it has a real bounce to it, I will be sorry to see Anna & Kevin and others leave the show in May you have really brought a sparkle to us all with your performances “ All the Best” in the future.
Most important a Big! Big! “Thank You” to all the Ballet girls leaving this week you have been wonderful, hope all your dreams come true.

Barry’s corny gag - Sorry for the short review but I keep forgetting th 25th letter of the alphabet and I can’t understand why!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: March 2014 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

Thanks, Barry. I concur with everything.

Still working on the joke, ROFL :lol:

I've got perpetual trouble typing the name Micahel - oops, there I go again. It comes out like that every time. I can't really explain it. To complicate matters, the Gaelic spelling is Micheál (pronounced MEE-HAUL).

Anyway, back to Reviews.

Thursday 6th March – all day

The Billy Elliot phenomenon continues to roll along the tracks ever accelerating as witnessed by two brilliant, brilliant shows yesterday driven by Billys extraordinaire Bradley and Mitchell. No wonder we associate sunshine with the South of France and Florida because that’s what these two multi-talented boys brought to London turning it into a day to remember.

There was tons of laughter and tons of tears and tons of drama as we were turned inside out with scene after scene of such passion and commitment that almost brought the external four red cranes crashing down to their very foundations. Add in a couple of cameos to all of this and you get the picture. For regular fans and first-timers alike this was the business.

The scene in the Boxing hall has never been funnier, getting audiences off to great starts every time every show. I’ve never been a fan of soap operas but if Howard Crossley’s George ever gets his own TV series I’ll be an immediate convert. Freddie and Zach A were his mind torturers in yesterday’s shows and together with Bradley and Mitchell they gave him hell. In the presence of these four not even a prayer to St. Jude would have helped. Hilarious. In the immediate aftermath of this scene in the matinee the keys barely made it over the wall, LOL.

BTW, in the evening show, when Dead Mum first appeared, Billy’s trainers were absolutely and positively NOT at the top of the stairs but, cool as you like, Mitchell, came down and calmly retrieved them from a pair of hands off to the right.

The Ballet Girls group that performed in both shows we learned after the evening show were giving their last performance and I can tell you that they were absolutely MAGNIFICENT and threw heart, soul, mind and body into two final performances that I hope they will remember forever. It does seem somewhat strange to break up such a well-trained and well-drilled group who are at the top of their game when they could positively continue on for much longer. Huge thanks and appreciation go to them for all the fantastic shows and this week’s glass of Volvic (with a touch of strawberry) will be raised in their honour.

Their compatriots Millie and Dayna were in clattering good form, making their presence ever-felt when on stage.

The real drama began when Dad arrived in to see Billy playing around with lasses in tights. The effect on the audience is very noticeable here as the storyline takes on a new direction. Deka has just gone mental in his anger these days, dragging Billy around the stage like a sack of spuds and spouting at Mrs W with utter venom. It is a tour-de-force that takes your breath away so suddenly does it occur. There were subtle differences in the way Bradley and Mitchell responded in kind, both equally effective.

Freddie and Zach went all out in their Expressings. Egged on by appreciative audiences they both took the heat out of the situations in spectacular style. Lights, camera, action eat your hearts out. No film set with its constant stops and starts would have outdone these two stalwarts as they danced, smiled and sang their way through ten minutes of sheer delight with their respective Billys.

Both Letters were sung and acted with such real emotion – par for the course these days. Bradley’s sobs, Mitchell’s clearly seen tears had me and everyone else nearby in tatters. Dead Mum (Claudia) and Anna-Jane chimed in and you could hear the genuine release of pent-up emotion when, finally, Simon Ray burst through the door to boogie.

Two fantastic and powerful Angry Dances brought the first half of each show to an end giving everyone time to draw breath.

The amazing variety of scenes in this show continued after the break. Just think about. The fun and games of the opening front of curtain, MCMT, Deep into the Ground, Winter Scene, Dream Ballet (thanks Lee, Bradley and Mitchell for two beauties), rivetting emotional drama between Deka and Kevin Wathen, events at the RBS, Electricity’s par excellence, the RBS letter arrival, the news of the abandoned strike followed by all the goodbyes and the final curtain with Michaels, Freddie and Zach, left all alone on stage to ponder their fate. Superb entertainment and it was no wonder that at the end of both shows, the cast and the music gurus were awarded standing ovations given from the heart.

For the evening show the dropping of regular fans’ jaws was brought about by the arrival of none other than Freddie as Tall Boy. It’s always such fun when stuff like this happens and Freddie rose to the occasion brilliantly. As the RBS scene approached, the anticipation of seeing Freddie being beaten up by Mitchell was revving things up. However, it was Redmand, specially flown in by helicopter from his holiday villa on the Isle of Wight, who came through the door to his “fate”. I hope Mitchell enjoyed bulldozing his fellow Billy as much as we did and I suspect that urgent repairs to the hard curtain were required this morning.

Bradley, Mitchell and Co. – thanks for the brilliant and memorable day you gave to almost 3,000 people.

Pat
FM-Switzerland
Tall Boy

Post by FM-Switzerland »

FRI 7th of March 2014:
Where should I start...
Breathtaking performance by Redmand! WOW!
The sentence "He could be a star..." by father Deka is totally wrong because Redmand IS a star!
Dancing, singing, face expressions, skipping, tap, transport of feelings... You just name it and you will find the champion in the person of Redmand!
A lot of "extra" / additional applause by the audience (theatre sold out) and several standing ovations!
Redmand is reacting to all the little details, giving some extra smiles and winks where you don't even expect it. This shows how he is living his role, always focused and concentrated 100%.
Together with the fabulous Freddie Butterfield (Michael) and Millie Thornton (Debbie) he builds an amazing trio and one of my favourite combos!
Another unforgettable night for me @ Victoria Palace Theatre!
Thanks so much (also to everybody else from the brilliant cast).
Also always a pleasure to meet "well known" people and friends from the audience!
I'll be attending the two shows today (SAT 8th) before travelling back to Switzerland!
See you soon :-)
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Continued thanks to all who have taken the time to review the show in print here at the forum. We can never say "thanks" often enough.

While, to me, every one of all your reviews are so pleasant to read, I would especially like to thank Pat C for his always innovative and detailed accounts. It continues to amaze me that someone who has seen the show over the years as frequently as Pat, can continue to observe/write in such a way that each review seems like it's his first time seeing the show. It never seems old or routine to him and there's a certain "freshness" to his writing that always makes his reviews something to look forward to and to enjoy every word of. Thanks Pat!!

As Billy Whiz always says... "keep 'em coming!"
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

"Ditto" The wonderful reviews from London are a life line. Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!

Joe
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 13th March

Redmand Rance/ Zach Atkinson/ Dayna Dixon

Tony: Matthew Dale

Grandma: Gillian Elisa

Older Billy: Lee Hoy

Small Boy: Lewis Fernée

Tall Boy: Tom Fox

Two hours sitting on a BA plane at Dublin waiting for the fog to clear at Heathrow did nothing to spoil the day. It just increased the anticipation of seeing again this most fantastic of shows (mind you, an invitation to visit the flight deck while on the ground helped somewhat, a big lot, LOL).

The “penance” for those regular Billy-ites who were unable to make it yesterday was the knowledge that, for the rest of their lives, they have to live with the fact that they missed three hours of the most fabulous entertainment that they can never get back.

I’m not sure that everyone liked algebra at school as much as I did but I think everyone will understand what

RR + ZA + DD = XTC + XLNS

means.

BETM – KW = MD
I have seen Matthew Dale play Tony before but not for quite a while. He stood in for Kevin yesterday and gave us a stunning rendition and He Could Be a Star was some sight to behold. The determined manner in which Deka plays Dad means that, if you’re playing Tony, you have to be physically strong and, literally, use every bone in your body to stop him in his tracks. This is probably the most realistically created scene in the show and was what the term “tour-de-force” was invented for. We are so fortunate that we have two Tonys of such high quality.

Gillian Elisa is the designated Grandma for Thursdays and in her case the algebraic formula is

GE = Image

When Pete Tchaikovsky composed Swan Lake I’m quite sure he never envisaged the formula:

DB (LH + RR) = BUT

For once it wasn’t the usual animated Thursday matinee well-attended-by-youngster-groups audience. It was a case of

AUD = SHY

Initially, even an absolutely hilarious Boxing Scene

HC + (RR + ZA + LF + TF) = Image

LF (JES x 3) = Image

didn’t get things going quite as much as usual.

Things did liven up considerably with the presentation of the formula

EXP (ZA + RR) = EXHIL + Image

And after that things were back to normal.

It was a delight to see the new Ballet Girl group get into the swing of things brilliantly. How much hard work and practice must they have done to be this good already?

BG (NEW) + DD = BRILL + SKILL

Throughout all this mathematical mayhem the skill and excellence of Redmand shone like a beacon with doses of that smile as wide as Niagara Falls in evidence as required.

I tried to work out a formula for him

but, in the end, settled on this one which best sums up his performance

RR = Image

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, as always, for a great review, Pat. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

How Pat continues to come up with these amazingly innovative reviews is really worth belonging to the Forum all by itself. :lol: :lol:

Just a great read once again, Pat! Thanks for making my morning.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I am FedExing my tax return to patc. He might be able to make more sense of it than I can!

Great review, patc!
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Cheers Pat! Also 10 out of 10 for you, what a brilliant review.

Return to “Reviews - London”