March 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
dancingboy
Billy

Re: March 2014 Reviews - London

Post by dancingboy »

The Magic of the Three R's - Thursday 20 March ( matinee)

The Redmand Rance Roadshow was in town today and it was as well that Redmand put on a top quality performance, for in the audience were his Headmaster and some of his schoolfriends. It was, however, Redmand, as we have come to expect and seen so many times before, who was teaching the lessons and the Headmaster could have had no complaints over the teaching methods used.
One of the primary functions of any Billy ( and cast) is to entertain and that Redmand most certainly did. It was an education, not only for me, but also the rest of the audience, to sit back and admire Redmand's performance from the first bell. You could see Redmand's character and personality shining through from start to finish. The line delivery, the timing of which is so important; the excellent use of pauses; in particular, I liked the delay before Redmand turned down Debbie's offer in the Toilet scene; the dancing, so much in time with the music, all added to the enjoyment.

Redmand appears to have an excellent rapport with Anna Jane Casey ( Mrs Wilkinson) and the final 'Goodbye' scene between them was full of emotion and well acted by them both.
Lastly, but by no means least, mention must be made of Electricity. Redmand's ballet version had me purring with delight, for, although I am no expert ( just like Dad), the perfect timing, the strong ballet movements, the acrobatics and the final flourish of almost twenty pirouettes, were superb to watch. The inevitable standing ovation from many followed. It was well deserved.

What lessons did we learn today, then? I don't think we learnt much about the Three Rs of Reading, (W)Riting and (A)Rithmatic. Perhaps it was more to do with 'Never give up'.' Hope springs eternal'.' Do not be afraid to follow your dream'. 'Hard work and dedication can help you succeed'. I could, of course, be referring to either Billy or Redmand.
Of one thing I am certain. The Headmaster would have approved of what he saw Redmand perform and achieve this afternoon and I am sure gave him full marks. I certainly did.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

Saturday 22nd March 2.30pm Mat

Billy...........Elliot Michael.............Zach Debbie.........Dayna

My 50th time to see the magic that is Billy
I was hoping for Mitchell,because he is the only current Billy I haven't seen, but got the Brilliant Elliot instead and it was worth getting up 3/4 hour earlier to get to London, because of the problems with the rail line at Dawlish
The show started at 2.32 with the small boy getting on to the stage, and looking around in surprise at the nearly full theatre
Elliots "dancing" in the boxing scene was so funny and the facial expressions on Zach's face when he was mimicing George got a lot of laughs
Elliots shadow dancing and the grandma scene was good
In Shine and solidarity Billy was certainly pushed around a lot
It was certainly Zach's scene in Expressing yourself
The angry dance could not get any angrier, one thing I did notice when Mrs Wilkinson came to see where Billy got to just be fore the angry dance, Elliot sat down and tried to hide his face behind his "Billy bag", is this new or is it a Billy-ism?
The Dream scene and Electricity were excellent and the applause seemed to go on and on
and he certainly deserved it
I think this was a better then normal show I was only disappointed on one thing, in born to boogie Elliot didn't do the piano flip, I don't know if it was that he does not do it or if he "run out of time" , it was a bit rushed towards the end of the scene
Mat 17th is my next time for Billy Elliot

George or James 1 Liam 3 Leon 1 Travis 1 Layton 2 Corey 2 Oliver 1 Josh 1 Hogan 2 Tanner 3 Brad 1 Tom 1

Ollie 3 Dean 3 Rhys 2 Scott 1 Aaron 1 Ryan 6 Josh 2 Adam 1 Kaine/Adam 1/2 each

Harris 2 Redmand 2 Harrison 3 Tade 2 Bradley 2 Ellot 2
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Being a regular visitor to the show I can tell Billyfan that most of the Billys, in recent times, hide their face behind the bag, in the Angry Scene and, as far as I can recall, Elliott does not perform the flip off the piano.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

Thank you you for that information, dancingboy
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

BILLYFAN wrote:My 50th time to see the magic that is Billy
Happy 50th!!! :D

Sean
James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by James.R »

BILLYFAN wrote: Elliot didn't do the piano flip, I don't know if it was that he does not do it or if he "run out of time" , it was a bit rushed towards the end of the scene
In the normal run of things, the young actors' safety is right at the top of the stage manager's priorities and there are a number of points in the show where the Billys need to get a "green light" from the stage manager. That leap off the piano is one of them. If the stage manager (standing stage left) doesn't feel it safe for any reason and doesn't make eye contact with the young actor...it doesn't happen.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Hey Billyfan

Congrats on 50th show (that's a bit excessive don't you think!!!) A few more and you might be labeled a fanatic.
Hope you do get to see Mitchell he is dynamite!!!

Return to “Reviews - London”