NBC Announces a Live Broadcast of The Music Man

Chat about other shows here
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

NBC Announces a Live Broadcast of The Music Man

Post by porschesrule »

NBC has announced this morning that the network will air a live television production of the classic 1957 musical THE MUSIC MAN. No specific date for the live broadcast was announced, but it was confirmed that it will air sometime after the network's previously announced live broadcast of PETER PAN, which is set for December 4th.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/NB ... 3E0oIFdV8E
debbiefan
Tall Boy

Re: NBC Announces a Live Broadcast of The Music Man

Post by debbiefan »

Two shows at once oh my
Billly ELliot
Denver: Lex as Billy Griffin as Michael and River as Tall Boy
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

This is excellent news. NBC is recognizing that live musical theater has a future in television. And NBC has connections and some rights to Billy Elliot The Musical. Hopefully, NBC will air less "sugary" musicals on their E! Network. It would be a perfect fit, and they would not have to sanitize BETM like they would for broadcast TV.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I cannot remember with whom I had this conversation recently, so it is anecdotal - take it as you wish. He is connected with a West End production, in the production side. The gist of it was that producers of current West End plays are less than enthusiastic about live tv broadcasts of musicals, for the simple reason that they never come off as well as they do live; and any errors, imperfections or whatever become all too apparent with the immediacy and intimacy of the live experience removed.

I think that was the gist. The Sound of Music was definitely 'refined' for broadcast; it was performed for a camera, and not the audience, in my view. I prefer the live experience.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

While I don't totally disagree with the sentiments of those BETM production people you describe, kport, regarding the loss of the spontaneity provided by live theatre, I also believe that offering "live" broadcasts of popular musicals makes available such musicals to a far larger audience than would ever see it in a theatre, many of whom cannot for whatever reason (financial, physical, etc) get to see it in person. So my take on it is, why not offer both?
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I'd be more interested in a live broadcast from an actual theatre of a show, whether running in London or Broadway, or just that they rehearsed for air on TV. But a real staged version, not a full TV or movie version.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

They do it for opera, and other events, a lot in the UK. Here is a link to what my local cinema will offer:

http://www.empirecinemas.co.uk/nowshowi ... D/t34#3978

I mean....this is a comprehensive list of events. But West End musicals? Where is BETM? Matilda? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Book of Mormon? Freakin' Wicked? These would all 'sell' in the hinterlands. But......they are AWOL from this list.

Hence, my point: the West End sees no $$$$$ in broadcasting a live performance. People may not go to London if they can see it in Poole, Plymouth, Birmingham, Bristol, Norwich..............................it comes down to a simple law of success in theatre life, that even George Frederick Handel or William Shakespeare would have understood:

Bums on seats.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

kport wrote:They do it for opera, and other events, a lot in the UK. Here is a link to what my local cinema will offer:

http://www.empirecinemas.co.uk/nowshowi ... D/t34#3978

I mean....this is a comprehensive list of events. But West End musicals? Where is BETM? Matilda? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Book of Mormon? Freakin' Wicked? These would all 'sell' in the hinterlands. But......they are AWOL from this list.

Hence, my point: the West End sees no $$$$$ in broadcasting a live performance. People may not go to London if they can see it in Poole, Plymouth, Birmingham, Bristol, Norwich..............................it comes down to a simple law of success in theatre life, that even George Frederick Handel or William Shakespeare would have understood:

kport,
You are two hours away from VPT, and can afford to attend often. Good for you, but many around the world are two days away from a major venue and can not afford the costs. This would be especially true of families with children.
The only way to reach the young people around the world who would be inspired by Billy Elliot The Musical is through the mass media.
I agree that a live performance is superior. But I agree with porschesrule that television experience is better than no experience. NBC has the resources to make it happen.

Bums on seats.
debbiefan
Tall Boy

Post by debbiefan »

Wondering what happen to this show?
Billly ELliot
Denver: Lex as Billy Griffin as Michael and River as Tall Boy
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Considering his great performance at Rockefeller Centre last night, I'd be interested to see Seth MacFarlane star in this show. We already know he knows the lyrics to the Shipoopi!

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”