July 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: July 2014 Reviews - London

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Glad you got to see a full show from Mitchell, Dancer.

I think the "doodledo" thing his Billy sings at that point is the theme from "The Twilight Zone." It's an interesting touch.
It is, and the choice of that particular theme leads to some interesting speculation about the reasons why!

(For a time, I thought might be the Batman tv theme.)
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I'm delighted, Dancer, that you finally got to see Mitchell and Tomi and thanks so much for your review which I absolutely loved. Where have you been hiding all this time? :D I always enjoy so much reading reviews (we don't get nearly enough) and hearing how other Forum members are enjoying this great show. I look forward to your next one because, after that one, I'm sure that other Forum member won't feel the need to pressurize you :D .

Belated thanks, too, to Samz22 for first impressions which are always of immense interest. I look forward to your next one as well.

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

For those regular visitors to the show at the VPT you may like to know that there are now two Debbies who climb the wall in the Toilet Scene. Kyria has done this since her first show, but Demi has now started. At least she did in the two shows I saw last week.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Interesting. Perhaps, in this 10th Anniversary year, we may see the return of the pork pie.

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

And perhaps the throwing away of the ballet shoes just before Angry Dance.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments - I'll try to do more reviews in the future! Isn't "The Twilight Zone" a bit after Billy's time? :D
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Dancer wrote:Isn't "The Twilight Zone" a bit after Billy's time?
Actually the original Rod Serling Twilight Zone TV series aired long before Billy's time (1959-1964) on the American television network CBS:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052520/
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Monday 14 July

When I entered theVPT at about 7.15 on Monday evening, the cast board showed that there was to be no Billy, the space was blank. So, it wasn't until the Resident Director, Simon Pollard, came on stage to announce that Ollie Jochim ( pronounced Yockim) would make his debut, that the audience actually knew who would be performing. Ollie becomes the 38th London Billy.

No one told Ollie, however, that he was supposed to have first night nerves, for this was a totally nerveless performance from the young man from Chelmsford. He was completely at ease with both himself and the role of Billy. I have no idea whether he has any previous acting experience, but he took to the part like the proverbial duck to water. I was particularly impressed with the way he spoke his lines, everything he said was crystal clear, although a few things were said a little too forcefully.

Ollie's dancing throughout was very solid, there was a very noisy Angry Dance, a well danced Dream Ballet with Barnaby and his timing was pretty good during his version of Electricity ( if you wish me to tell you whether it is Street or Ballet Electricity, let me know), which included one or two movements I have not previously seen.

All in all this was an impressive debut performance which augurs well for the future. There was no doubt Ollie thoroughly enjoyed himself on stage and that transmitted itself down to the audience. He received a full house standing ovation at the first curtain call, which was certainly well deserved.

The ensemble were some three usual members short, so Scottish Ballet Dancer ( for the front of curtain scene with Dad) was played by Lee Hoy. However, he wasn't after all, from Glasgow, but from Essex and Lee put on a bit of a Cockney voice . I wonder if this came about as Ollie comes from Essex.

One other small thing that I have noticed this last week, when I think it was introduced. In Expressing Yourself, when Michael puts the lipstick over Billy's lips, there is now a tissue provided ( in the jewellery box on the dressing table) to enable Billy to remove the lipstick, obviously, if he so wishes. So far, all the Billies I have seen have removed the lipstick.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

dancingboy wrote:his version of Electricity ( if you wish me to tell you whether it is Street or Ballet Electricity, let me know), which included one or two movements I have not previously seen.
YES PLEASE, tell us!!! :D

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Ollie is a ........... Ballet Billy.

Return to “Reviews - London”