July 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
angelenroute
Billy

Re: July 2014 Reviews - London

Post by angelenroute »

Welcome to the forum as a poster, Bridget! :D I've met others who weren't (and still aren't) fans of musical theatre who also loved Billy. The show has a raw power to it, and verges on straight-play style too, so it breaks the mould of traditional musicals. Of course it still allows for dream sequences like Billy with his dead mother, Michael with his desire to express himself, and Billy flying with his older self. It's just a magical show beyond measure, so I understand why it grabs even non-musical folks too. :)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you dancingboy and MsRF for your insightful reviews of Olle's first night.

It sounds like the company is in safe hands with him. I hope I manage to get to see him on my trip this coming Thursday. He will be my 50th different Billy.

Thanks also to Bridget40 and Dancer for your excellent reviews.

I don't like the idea of a tissue to wipe away the lipstick. I always thought it was really funny when Billy kept it on.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Billy Whiz wrote:Thank you dancingboy and MsRF for your insightful reviews of Olle's first night.

It sounds like the company is in safe hands with him. I hope I manage to get to see him on my trip this coming Thursday. He will be my 50th different Billy.

Thanks also to Bridget40 and Dancer for your excellent reviews.

I don't like the idea of a tissue to wipe away the lipstick. I always thought it was really funny when Billy kept it on.

Another example of 'elf 'n' safety' rearing its absurd head?
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Billy Whiz wrote:I don't like the idea of a tissue to wipe away the lipstick. I always thought it was really funny when Billy kept it on.

I'm pretty sure Billy wiped off the lipstick in all of the American productions.
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, I think he did, but he didn't have a tissue handy, as I recall. He just used his hand.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
muck912
Tall Boy

Post by muck912 »

ERinVA wrote:Yes, I think he did, but he didn't have a tissue handy, as I recall. He just used his hand.
or he often used his sleeve.
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

muck912 wrote:[quote="or he often used his sleeve.
I think personally, if the Billy in question wants to remove the lipstick, then fine - but it is used so liberally by each Michael that you think they would've made it chapstick or something by now!

All the Billys I've seen, including Redmand, Elliott and Mitchell, have seemed to relish having an absurd amount of lipstick on their faces during the second part of Expressing, and have milked it to the max. If the boys aren't comfortable having it on, fair enough, but i do think it adds an extra bit of fun to that dance!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Normal service was resumed on Wednesday evening with Ollie wearing the orange/brown striped shirt for Solidarity and Expressing Yourself and the Oxford Blue and white shirt for the RBS Letter scene onwards.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. :D I'm not sure if I should mention to my daughter that saturday will be Mitchells last show...... If I do I will most likely be forced to reach for my credit card, as she is quite taken with him.:lol:

Also, I imagine that it must be very difficult for the kids in the show to leave it all behind? Can't be helped I guess, these kids get older, but Billy etc must stay the same age.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Last nights are incredible experiences! The many goodbyes toward the end of the show take on all new meaning, too. I promise you, you'll get at least twice your money's worth and then some for what will end up being one of the greatest theatrical experiences you've ever had. And if at all possible, place yourself along the left center aisle (assuming that's the same in London?).

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Reviews - London”