July 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: July 2014 Reviews - London

Post by CJ-Rochester »

The VPT only has one center (centre?) aisle. Guess it's been too long Sean. You need to get back there. ;)
:/
inspired
Tall Boy

Post by inspired »

Friday, July 11
Saturday evening, July 12

After a great trip to Europe, I’ve returned to the U.S. It was so great to see the show again, this time in London after a 13-month lapse. I had expected certain differences from the U.S. shows (like AD, MCMT, audition), the strong language. But I was surprised at all the smaller moments that were different. I’m not talking about just the U.K.-specific differences, either. All through the show little things were different. Having seen three different productions over here (Tour, Broadway, Toronto), and how almost exactly the same they were, no variations, I was surprised at how they differed from U.K. For whatever reason It seemed that the scenes least-changed were the ones involving Mrs. W.

The Billys I saw were Mitchell and Elliott Hanna. Mitchell has really developed since seeing him in Grand Rapids last year. Much more polished and comfortable in the role and a great dancer. Elliot is so young-looking (guess that’s because he is!). He is quite the dynamo in his dancing (had an energetic Electricity) and has a nice singing voice. And he had the best ending to AD that I have ever seen. Right before the final fall to the stage at the end, he pauses, is still for a moment, then falls to the ground with a scream that is not covered by music. Then he stayed there. And stayed there. He slowly got up, and just stood glaring at the audience (Joseph Harrington and Jacob Clemente did the staring thing too). But I thought it was so effective the way he didn’t rush to get up and walk off. Loved it.

The Michael I saw both shows, Tomi Fry, was awesome. Small in stature, he took the stage by storm in each of his scenes. He has this mischievous air about him and reminded me much of Dillon Stevens in that regard. He is a ham extraordinaire, but a fine actor at the tender moments and dancer as well.

Because I am so used to the U.S. versions, I realize that I’m very biased toward the changes I saw. Thus I won’t expound on what I didn’t like about the productions of these shows (okay, just one…I thought Tony and Jackie were portrayed much rougher in London, and shouted almost ALL their lines). Rather, I tried to find things that I liked better than the U.S. productions. Several things stood out. I really liked the audition scene with the judges and the cassette rewinding with the pencil. The whole Jackie strike-breaking HCBAS was streamlined and didn’t seem to languish as much as it does in the U.S. version. And I loved seeing the full dresses again in EY – what a difference they make. And of course the aforementioned end to AD. Mitchell and Elliott were much more vocal during AD than most here in the U.S. which I really liked too.

I happened to sit next to and meet FM-Switzerland at the first show and could tell he was a Billyphile from the start. Then ironically we had seats right next to each other for the second show I attended. Sorry, Bridget, would have loved to meet you and your daughter too.

One last note: I do have to say that BETM seems to be well-publicized in London. All over the place in the tube stations and at bus stops I saw Billy posters. Good job keeping it in front of the public!

Mark
28 shows, 17 Billys, 11 cities
Lightman7
Small Boy

Post by Lightman7 »

inspired, if you want to get really mixed up, go see it in Ogunquit before it closes - it is yet another hybrid, with both UK and US elements.
1RadBilly
Tall Boy

Post by 1RadBilly »

Bridget40 wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. :D I'm not sure if I should mention to my daughter that saturday will be Mitchells last show...... If I do I will most likely be forced to reach for my credit card, as she is quite taken with him.:lol:

Also, I imagine that it must be very difficult for the kids in the show to leave it all behind? Can't be helped I guess, these kids get older, but Billy etc must stay the same age.
angelenroute wrote:Last nights are incredible experiences! The many goodbyes toward the end of the show take on all new meaning, too. I promise you, you'll get at least twice your money's worth and then some for what will end up being one of the greatest theatrical experiences you've ever had.
Bridget40--i just wanted to pipe in regarding Mitchell's finale--by all means GO FOR IT!! As others have said, finale's are amazing shows. They can be incredibly emotional and I think even more so when you've seen a particular Billy that you've grown to like. I've had the privilege of attending just three finale's--Dean, Ryan, and Harrison. Dean's finale was not a planned show for me. I was going to be in Paris that particular day and was somewhat new to the forum and saw the notice that his final show was coming up so I got two tickets to the Saturday shows and cut my Paris trip short by a day. Needless to say that Saturday afternoon I was absolutely mesmerized when I saw Ryan Collinson perform for the first time. That night was the only time I got to see Dean perform as Billy. Ryan made such an impression on me that I HAD to be there for his finale, it was absolutely amazing to be there for his final show. The Billy fanatics are out in force along with friends and family so there is a completely different environment in the theatre. Last summer I was finally able to catch two shows by Harrison and he also blew me away. When his finale was announced I went ahead and bot a ticket to the show but was hemming and hawing about making a 3 or 4 day trip to London to see a Billy Elliot performance, after all I was coming from California, but that Billy voice kept whispering 'you need to go!' So I finally bot a plane ticket and made the trek. What a show! I encourage you to go back and read the reviews of that show back in November, it was phenomenal, totally worth it. Plus your daughter might get the added bonus of getting an autograph or picture with Mitchell outside the front of the theatre if you hang around for a little while. Obviously due to geography and cash I can't make them all so it's few and far between. I only got to see Mitchell perform once in Sacramento and it was fantastic. So buy your tickets and treat your daughter to a wonderful experience! You'll be so glad you did!!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Bridget40 wrote:I'm not sure if I should mention to my daughter that saturday will be Mitchells last show...... If I do I will most likely be forced to reach for my credit card, as she is quite taken with him.:lol:
Do it. You won't regret it but you will have every emotion thrown at you that night.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Well it's been a series of firsts for me so far this week.

1. Thursday matinee. I see Mitchell perform as Michael. I was told afterwards by his mum that it was the first time he had ever played him.

2. Thursday evening. I see three different boys play Billy. First - Matteo. Second - Elliott. Third - Mitchell. Chris Hatt told some of us after the show that is has happened once before.

3. Friday evening. There are only 2 dancing dresses. I'm sure this will have happened before but it was a first for me.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Billy Whiz wrote:Well it's been a series of firsts for me so far this week.

1. Thursday matinee. I see Mitchell perform as Michael. I was told afterwards by his mum that it was the first time he had ever played him.

2. Thursday evening. I see three different boys play Billy. First - Matteo. Second - Elliott. Third - Mitchell. Chris Hatt told some of us after the show that is has happened once before.

3. Friday evening. There are only 2 dancing dresses. I'm sure this will have happened before but it was a first for me.
I have never seen as few as two dancing dresses, David.
BEJB
Small Boy

Post by BEJB »

Billy Whiz wrote:

2. Thursday evening. I see three different boys play Billy. First - Matteo. Second - Elliott. Third - Mitchell.
Chris Hatt told some of us after the show that is has happened once before

It was Tuesday 16th June, 2009
Ollie started the show but was replaced after Grandma's song "being indisposed." Brad took over and had to be replaced after the "Dream Ballet" during which he appeared to have sustained a slight injury - he limped out of the theatre after the show. Tom, after a pause for him to warm up, finished the show with great zest. Tanner was in the Billy Bus... just in case!!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

BEJB wrote:It was Tuesday 16th June, 2009
Ollie started the show but was replaced after Grandma's song "being indisposed." Brad took over and had to be replaced after the "Dream Ballet" during which he appeared to have sustained a slight injury - he limped out of the theatre after the show. Tom, after a pause for him to warm up, finished the show with great zest. Tanner was in the Billy Bus... just in case!!
Tanner must have just gotten back to England, having completed the last of eight shows on June 6 on Broadway, where he was covering for an injured Tommy Batchelor. Then, as I recall, he was given a week off at home in the states before heading back to London.
FM-Switzerland
Tall Boy

Post by FM-Switzerland »

No reviews of yesterday?

Return to “Reviews - London”