September 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
tankntonic
Ballet Girl

Re: September 2014 Reviews - London

Post by tankntonic »

patc Wrote:
It’s very hard to come down to Earth again after this past long weekend. With the utmost sincerity I hope that the wishes expressed by Elliott in the preview at the cinema come true. He deserves nothing less.

Pat. thank you so much for another memorable review, please share Elliott's wishes you refer to. (for the benefit of us poor North American slugs who were not included in the guest list Sunday)
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a review of the Billy Live performance published in Broadway World:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/westend/ar ... 4-20140929
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

I saw the live show at my local Cineworld cinema. Before the show started two young members of a local theatrical group came “on stage” to entertain the audience! A girl treated us to some singing and tap dancing and a young boy sang Electricity, and very good he was too! I don’t know if he could dance, though!

One nice touch was that each member of the audience was given a Playbill sized four page leaflet with the song playlist and details of the cast and production team.

After the interviews with Elton John and some of the cast and Elliott’s backstage tour (which I sincerely hope is included in the DVD!) the show began. The first half of the live broadcast went without a hitch. The cinema was completely full but a couple sitting behind me soon walked out as they didn’t like the bad language. On the whole, the audience laughed in all the right places but didn’t applaud.

It was when Act 2 started that the problems began. Right from the start the live link kept breaking until, thankfully, it was fully restored just as Dream Ballet was about to begin. A member of the cinema management did make an announcement to say that the problems originated at the Victoria Palace and weren’t the fault of the cinema but I was wondering if anyone else experience such problems? Sadly it occurred again during the Post scene, but at least the final Mash-up went without a hitch! After the show, those who wanted were given free tickets to see it again the following Thursday or Sunday by way of apology for the problems experienced.

Camera angles were generally excellent with many close-ups of the cast. It put facial expressions into a totally different perspective! I especially liked the vertical shots looking down on the stage and scenery. We now know where Grandma’s pasty is hidden – on the floor next to Billy’s bed with his alarm clock!

One thing I must mention which I hadn’t heard before was Elliott calling out, “don’t go” to Dead Mum during The Letter. It was a really poignant moment in this scene.

This was a stunning show and thankfully the problems experienced didn’t take away my enjoyment of an amazing production! Elliott and Liam’s Dream Ballet was beautiful to watch and that final mash-up was just incredible. The sound and vision and atmosphere weren’t, of course, as good as you would experience at the VPT but it was the next best thing! Can’t wait for the DVD!
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

Dancer wrote:
It was when Act 2 started that the problems began. Right from the start the live link kept breaking until, thankfully, it was fully restored just as Dream Ballet was about to begin. A member of the cinema management did make an announcement to say that the problems originated at the Victoria Palace and weren’t the fault of the cinema but I was wondering if anyone else experience such problems? Sadly it occurred again during the Post scene, but at least the final Mash-up went without a hitch!
I was at the cinema twice yesterday with no viewing problems. In the afternoon the sound was too low but no picture issues. In the evening a different cinema had much better sound. There was a split second picture break up early in the second half but nothing to worry about. I don't think the issue was the feed from the VPT.

By the way I thought Grandma's Song worked really well in the cinema. The ghost like affect of the men were clearly shown as Grandma's memories. At times it cut to a close up of Grandma & Billy on the left of screen with the men also in close up superimposed on the right of screen. However, shadow dance was not effective as the camera couldn't pick up Billy's shadow on the back wall & instead focused on the shadow on the stage.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

One cinema viewer absolutely loved Billy Elliot Live, especially the performance of Elliott Hanna:

http://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/shrews ... ury-cinema
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

Re the D.V.D:-
OliverWaters and Lola, I agree with your comments, I was just wondering if people will buy the D.V.D , and stop coming to see the show.
On Radio Devon, after the interview with Liam, people were phoneing the radio stn to say they would like to go, but it is the distance (from Devon and Cornwall) plus the cost.
The Train fares have gone up tremendous this year, last year booking on line 12weeks in advance and with a rail card the fares were from £8 40 to £11.90 with 1st class about £10-£12 dearer, this year the cheapest I've got is £16.90 to £20.90 (each way)

We had no problems with the screening from Victoria Palace, The only problem we had, was that somebody opened the emergency door at the back, and the sun was shining on the end quarter of the screen, and it took several minutes before someone shut the door!
I also thought that the sound was more clearer at the cinema, whether it is from the new sound eq. at Victoia Palace or the cinemas I don't know

The recording of the live show is on at the Vue Paignton on Sunday afternoon, i'm going to watch it again, and hope that the extras, that I missed, are be shown as well
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Sunday September 28th (2pm)
Elliott
Zach
Demi

This may yet prove to have been the most important event in the life of Billy Elliot the Musical. There was a tremendous sense of excitement in the theatre with some members of the audience having travelled long distances to be a part of the occasion. Live filming of Shows into cinemas has become commonplace in the UK but surely never such a complex project as BETM with its large child cast and so many past Billys. Stephen Daldry had been hard at work with the cast all week and the hard work paid off. Film trucks had come in on Thursday night to give Allington Street the look of a film location. There were run throughs on Friday afternoon and on Saturday afternoon with a matinee audience. This project had been well conceived and in the event was very well executed.

Personally, I felt very nervous both on Saturday and Sunday. How would Elliott cope with the pressure, how would the Set hydraulics behave, how would Small Boy handle his opening scene and indeed how would the audience cope with all the cameras and rearranged seating :) ? In retrospect I think that Stephen Daldry had the experience to make it all work. He has experience in directing both films and theatre and this gave him the authority to work with the film crew and to direct the cast. I would say that both of these parties could have been difficult. The Business case would have been interesting too! The costs of filming together with the costs of overtime working (Musician Union and Bectu rates :shock: ) would have been considerable. Maybe these were underwritten by Universal? Someone had to negotiate with cinema groups around the world to ensure that there would be sufficient income to cover costs. Then there would have been some contractual issues as well. Liam and Layton are under contract to Matthew Bourne’s Company and one must remember that the Victoria Palace is now owned by Cameron Mackintosh. I have no doubt that there was sufficient good will to overcome any such difficulties.

I need not have been so nervous. Everything was fine. Elliott was brilliant, the hydraulics behaved themselves, Small Boy was great and even the audience behaved themselves :D . Others have written excellent reviews and I have little to add really. However, it all comes back to Elliott. His dancing in Electricity was very fine with a lovely feeling to his ballet movements and good technique. The duet with Liam was extremely poignant. This was such a moving scene. Their dancing was lyrical and one wonders whether Elliott may follow in Liam’s (ballet) footsteps. This Show with Elliott and Liam will last for years to come via the DVD. It was a privilege to have been a member of the audience.

The Live film was shown in a special cinema in Easington, Co Durham and this reminds us that the story is not just about a young boy who discovers ballet. It is also the story of a mining community that was crushed by the failure of the miners’ strike. With Michael in mind, it is also about ‘being who you want to be.’

Who was it who said, ‘……………..how many years can some people exist, before they’re allowed to be free' ?
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A 'glass half empty' review (of sorts) from The Stage:

http://www.thestage.co.uk/opinion/shent ... ter-stage/

Few would dispute that a cinematic presentation would offer a difference experience than a seeing a live show (and being part of the audience).

But surely the Live production is an enhancement to the whole franchise, and not merely a publicity affair? Not everyone is a mile from the West End, as claims this writer to be.

At least he was smitten by Elliott and Ruthie!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thank you, Jacob, for your most interesting thoughts on the Billy Live show. It is especially pleasing to read comments on Elliott’s ballet Electricity from someone like your goodself who actually knows what you are talking about.

I’ll have to buy a Blu-Ray player now so it can all be watched again in the highest quality (especially that Electricity and that indescribably beautiful duet)……but, of course, there will never be any substitute for the VPT experience :D .

Pat
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

I live a long way from London, so a trip to my favourite musical involves spending quite a lot of money. I'm also retired and can't afford weekly excursions. The opportunity to watch "Billy Elliot" on a local cinema screen was one I snatched, although not without reservations. Would it be as good as watching it in the theatre or would it be like watching a football match on the TV - not a patch on the real thing?
I needn't have worried: it was a different experience, but the pleasure I got from seeing it again was almost as great, and a great filler before my next visit. Every member of the cast gave his or her all and the energy and emotions leaped off the screen. Elliot was outstanding: it was wonderful to see his "Dream Ballet" with Liam Mower, because when I saw him in January the hydraulics weren't working properly and there was no flying! It was beautifully synchronised and very moving. In fact, from the corner of my eye I could see the hankies coming out.
But it's unfair to pick out anyone in particular. the whole cast and production company put their hearts and souls into it and gave us an outstanding performance, almost like a Billy's last night.
Well done and thank you to all concerned.

Return to “Reviews - London”