The Bears are home,

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Bears are home,

Post by ERinVA »

Here are the bears trying on their tuxes for the Tonys in front of an antique mirror . :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Thanks for the photos - any chance of getting some more info on how the bears found their way home?

When did it happen? How did it happen?

And what about the back stage tour - who hosted it? What was it like?

I so wish I could have been there...

Still, it was great meeting the bears in person Saturday at the Edison Cafe! And meeting the rest of the gang who made it there as well!

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Just so everyone knows the history of this, the idea to bid on the bears was put forward by StevenKing on the old forum, and all members were invited to pledge toward winning the bears if they wished. After public discussion of the idea, with everyone having the opportunity to pledge by a certain deadline, communication then went "underground," so to speak, with discussion continuing by PM, IM and a chat room set up for pledgers, in an effort to keep the project secret from the Billys, who have been known to read the forum from time to time. 8-) Things became a bit more complicated when the old forum was closed so suddenly, but thank goodness we managed to keep the project alive through the "underground" network.

After being won at auction, the bears have been residing with StevenKing, who, as the bidder for the group, received them via UPS. He brought them to NYC with him last week. While the bears were away from home, their flat selves (photographs a la Flat Stanley) were having adventures and blogging about them. The latest installment about their return to NYC has not been added yet, but it will be soon, I'm sure. For the time being, the blog is password protected for the boys to have a chance to see it before it will go live and the link will be posted on here and on FOB for everyone to share in the fun.

As for the backstage tour, it was part of the prize that came with winning the bears, and it was conducted by John Fahey, one of the guardians, who used to work for Broadway Cares and was part of the founding of the Broadway Cares Bears project 15 or so years ago. After the presentation of the bears on stage following the show on June 9, which was nice, but really extremely hurried, he told those of us who were able to be present about the raked stage and showed us the trap doors for the table lift, the house lift, and the miners' elevator at the back of the stage. Then we took a very short tour during which we saw a little of the wing area stage left, including the loft where the stage manager sits to call the show, as we headed downstairs to see the pit for the house and take a peek into the costume shop and wig shop where the hair folks were getting the wigs ready for the next day's shows. He told us about the dressing rooms, but we didn't see any of them (some are 5 flights up). The space in the wings and under the stage is incredibly cramped, and of course with everything in the wings being painted black, it is a bit scary unless you know where you're going. I was impressed with how they can handle a cast that large in such a small space.

So that's the story for all you inquiring minds that wanted to know. :D
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Want to add that Deebeefff made first bid on the bears...I didnt want to bid against him so i asked if we could join together. He said even that bid was high for him(started at 600) and then the "IDEA" came apon me...rest is history!

Steven
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Now that Ellen has posted a picture of the TInys I feel that a special mention should go to her. She has worked really hard making the Tinys as well as the tuxedos for the Bear photos. I know she got a lot of pleasure making them but I'm sure they were hard work as well. Ellen was also the go-between for the lunch with the Billys so her contribution to the successful trip was enormous.

Thanks Ellen from all that benefited through your hard work.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

That is sweet of you, Billy Whiz, but I had such fun doing the Tinys and the tuxes that they were their own reward! It's not often I get the excuse to be creative like that, so this was my "big number." :lol: Now you must tell your "Tiny" story. 8-) ;)
Ellen

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

ERinVA wrote:Now you must tell your "Tiny" story. 8-) ;)
When the boys lined up for the photo with their bears I said to them "Come on, show us your Tinys as well". This lady stood next to me said "I beg your pardon!". I explained that the Tinys were the little trophies that they were holding. She started to laugh and said "I'm sorry, I thought you were being very personal". :D :D :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

I want to thanks Clue for all the leg work he did as the official NYC member of our group going to the auction as an emergency back up bidder, getting the stand, arranging the tour with John at the theatre, restaurant choices etc etc etc. We could not have done this without his local help!

Steven
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

What a fantastic team! Congrats to all you lucky people! I hope to be able to participate in a future Forum New York event.
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese proverb

Return to “Broadway Archive”