March 2015 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Todd
Dad

Re: March 2015 Reviews - London

Post by Todd »

Bridget40 wrote:
jtsw1 wrote:The "two years is enough/the maximum for the company"-thought occured to me, too. It hasn't been two years, though, only 20 months. So Dean Chapman remains the only Billy with a two-year-run. I can think of some other reasons for leaving, having grown "too tall" being the most unlikely one (four months more or less wouldn't have don any "harm"). But speculating doesn't help anyone.
When I said two years I was including the time he would have spent in training. As I said though, who knows why his run has ended. I know that the company does have restrictions on the height of Billy's, or maybe Elliott has something else lined up that he wants to do?
I often think of how difficult it must be for kids that age to be away from their family, even though they're doing something they really enjoy. He certainly didn't "age out" of the part at 11, and he doesn't seem too big yet. But after being away from his parents for almost two years at the age of 10 and 11, I can understand how anyone that age might be ready to be back home.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Tuesday 10 March

There were some unusual happenings at the Victoria Palace on Tuesday evening. Firstly, the tallest Small Boy I have ever seen climbed the stage at the beginning of the show. None of the usual Small Boys, but Todd ( Bell). Secondly, Tomi, playing Michael, entered the fray on his bicycle, sped round extremely quickly and skidded off the bike. It was clear he was in some pain. However, Tomi soldiered on during the Boxing scene, but hobbled off through the door. It was no surprise, therefore, to see that, for Expressing Yourself, Todd had transmogrified into his usual role of Michael and played the part for the remainder of the show. Were we to see a Small Boy appear for Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher? The answer was 'Yes', for Small Boy Billy Marlow had been summoned from his bed, or wherever, to take his usual place. Quite what the majority of the audience were thinking is hard to imagine, but these things can and do happen with Live Theatre.
None of this put the rest of the cast off, however, although they were clearly shaken when they saw Tomi fall off the bike. The show was an excellent one, with Matteo in quite sparkling form. Both his acting and dancing were first class. Matteo is a giggler and a bit of a comic and he brought the best out of Todd in Expressing Yourself, which was hilarious to watch, with Matteo pulling faces at regular intervals. Todd reciprocated.
You can easily see that Matteo loves being on that stage and he means to entertain and this he did throughout the show. He is never afraid to use his acting skills and I particularly liked the way he drew out some words and phrases in order to stress their meaning.
Matteo's dancing had the audience in raptures especially when they watched his fast spins and pirouettes, superbly well spotted, in Electricity. This put the seal on a superb all-round performance from the young man.
I can only say a huge 'Well Done' to everyone for an excellent evening's entertainment. 'Well Done' to Todd for taking two parts in the show - is that a first? And best wishes to Tomi for a quick recovery.
tzwicky
George

Sounds like an extreme closeup is needed!

Post by tzwicky »

It sounds like an extreme closeup look at Michael's bicycle tires is needed!

I hope he isn't out there on baldies.

Perhaps snow tires or trick tires used for acrobatic bicycle stuff could be added.

Perhaps some BillyManiac with oversized binoculars sitting in the first 4-12 rows can take a look.

Then perhaps if everyone donates 50p, we can get new tires??!!!!!!

tzwicky
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Thank you for the great review.

I recall a time when Zak Baker played Small Boy at a Thursday matinee in May 2014 - apparently Small Boy didn't arrive on time, but had done so after the Boxing Scene. Zak hammed it up - he was clearly implausibly large to play Small Boy by then!
kport
Post subject: Re: Zak Baker - MichaelPostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:31 pm
What a great Michael Zak has been. I will never forget his 'Small Boy' appearance last May, either! Priceless!!
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

dancingboy wrote:And best wishes to Tomi for a quick recovery.
Best wishes to Tomi and hoping that it's nothing serious.
dancingboy wrote:You can easily see that Matteo loves being on that stage and he means to entertain and this he did throughout the show. He is never afraid to use his acting skills and I particularly liked the way he drew out some words and phrases in order to stress their meaning.
I really enjoy that aspect of his performance too.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Wednesday 11th March

With late announcements of show events Forum members living in the London area have the advantage of being able to jump on their Boris bikes and pedal furiously to Victoria. The rest of us rely on them letting us know how it went. On this occasion the luck of the Irish struck. A ticket bought quite some time ago ended fortuitously in a unique occasion, the first nights of a Billy AND a Michael in the same show. As 7.30pm approached I wondered how they were feeling. The atmosphere was electric as Simon, Resident Director, came on to make the pre-show announcement. As he finished he told everyone that both boys, Thomas Hazelby as Billy and Nathan Jones as Michael, were raring to go and bursting to show us what they could do.

Three hours later they had done just that. In a nutshell, individually they were brilliant, together they were dynamite. I suppose it would be reasonable to assume that they had rehearsed together many times but the proof of the pudding is what they do on the actual night and they pulled it off in mega style. When you consider that, between them, they barely have 21 years on the planet, this is a conquest of Everest proportions.

I didn’t see even the slightest evidence of any nervousness. You could see that they were thoroughly enjoying themselves and got off to a great start with a crackerjack Boxing scene. It was in Shine that we first noticed that Thomas can go from 0-60 in zero seconds. In a 100 yard sprint he’d be halfway before the others were off their knees.

Thomas didn’t just warm to his task, he was flame-throwing it. Displaying boundless energy, a most impressive acting technique and timing his lines to perfection, the dramatic scenes were stunning and the Letter with Ruthie and Claudia got the sniffles going in earnest. He got his first opportunity to show off his dancing skills to the full with a jaw dropping Angry Dance.

Expressing was the opportunity for Nathan to strut his stuff and it was at this point that it became clear that he has a maturity beyond his years - (proved beyond doubt later on as we shall see). Projecting a wonderful stage presence he took Thomas by the scruff of the neck and put him through his paces in a delightful sequence of fun, laughter and light added to by the colourful frolicking dresses. A fantastic roar of approval from the audience cheered him off. That must have been the moment that he knew he had arrived.

Both Thomas and Nathan have wonderful voices imbued with clarity and feeling and the Winter Scene was a perfect example of this. This scene is possibly the biggest opportunity in the show for the Michaels to display their finest fine-tuned acting skills with fast changes of mood required. In his very first show Nathan gave a masterclass in how it’s done. Within seconds of providing much hilarity with Sindy he stopped all the clocks with a “Why, I’d miss ya” and a look that ripped my heart out in an instant, those imploring expressive eyes staring at Billy until his afterthought caused him to momentarily turn his back. The tender moments that followed were topped off with a heartbreakingly expressed “you won’t tell anyone will ya”. It would not have surprised me if the entire audience had rushed up on stage to comfort him. A minute later he was back in happy mode delivering a most hilarious unique (and I mean unique) tutu routine which, in turn, was replaced seconds later by a beautifully staged and poignant walk-off. Yes, masterclass fits the bill very nicely.

The Older Billys must be rejoicing in the fact that recent Billys are lightweight and Thomas is no different. Dream Ballet with Barnaby went like clockwork and the preamble to Electricity heightened the tension. Would it be Ballet or Street? How would Thomas handle his biggest moment ever? The answer to Q1 is Ballet. Magnifico is the answer to Q2. The emotions built up as he danced his way through all the exotic moves until he finished it off with a flurry of fast and furious revolutions. Magic. The only “complaint” I have is that he didn’t hang around long enough after it. Such was the quality of what we had just seen, we badly wanted to keep the applause going much, much longer than that but we were stopped in our tracks.

The standard of the acting through all the subsequent goodbyes never faltered and Nathan’s depiction of lonely Michael brought their amazing first night to a conclusion.

There have been 39 previous London Billys but you still really have to pinch yourself that you are watching a 10 y/o turning in a stunning performance like this in front of a thousand people plus.

Many of the Ballet Girls left last week as new teams were formed but we know from past experience that the following week the new girls combined with some of those who remain on are always going to continue their tradition of brilliance and so it proved. They were quite superb not just as a team of dancers with their what must be hundreds of varied and complicated movements but in all the situations they found themselves including that sad time when they gather around with their Mums as their Miner Dads ready themselves for the descent back down the pits.

Anyone reading this might think there was nobody else on stage but the newbies and I do apologise but it’s not often that I get to see a first night like this. All of the BETM cast are in powerful and inspired form.

But the evening belonged to Thomas and Nathan. They will probably be friends for life and will be able to tell their grandkids about that unbelievable night all those years ago when they went on stage together for the first time in Billy Elliot the Musical. I am so grateful to have been there to see it and offer my congratulations and thanks for a fascinating and most memorable evening’s entertainment.

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Excellent review, Pat. Unfortunately, with time at a premium, I wasn't able to write a review yesterday, so you beat me to it!

For me, the one thing that came across was the, seemingly, lack of nerves from both Thomas and Nathan. Not one word out of place with a noticeable slowish, thoughtful delivery of their lines, showed their acting ability. Facially, Nathan has the looks of a young Dean-Charles and if his acting comes up to anywhere near his standard then we are in for a treat.

I agree with Pat about Nathan's somewhat unique style in The Tutu scene. I believe Nathan is/was into Karate and Kick Boxing and that showed in the said scene.

Both boys must be congratulated on their debut performances. The stage was theirs and they grasped the opportunity with relish and aplomb.

Two more gems plucked from somewhere by the BETM staff.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, John.
Nathan has the looks of a young Dean-Charles
LOL, I thought he looked a bit like Redmand, not the Redmand we saw on stage but the photo of Redmand in the program which didn't look like the Redmand we saw on stage :D .

Thursday Matinee 12th March

On Wednesday night after the show when my intended Tube train arrived at VIC it was packed with Chelsea fans. I wondered if they had won their important second leg. When the doors opened and I stepped into the coach I got my answer. The coach was in total devastating mournful silence that clearly signalled that they had lost and were out. I would love to have handed out a coachload of Billy tickets to cheer them up and explain that, at Billy, we fans ALWAYS WIN.

More regal entertainment was to follow at the Thursday matinee. In the hands of master Billy craftsman, Brodie Donougher, this was always going to be a spectacular. Scene upon scene of brilliant acting singing and dancing plus his usual package of controlled, mesmerising super-aerobatics. At such a tender age he has already achieved his two most cherished ambitions and deservedly so.
https://boysballet.wordpress.com/2014/03/page/2/

Brodie’s incredible ballet Electricity-with-wall-flip is something I hope will be performed someday on a TV promotion or televised West End Event so that it can be recorded for posterity. As he sits fidgeting in his chair at the RBS the first-timers in the audience out front have no idea what they are about to see and, when it happens, the wow factor vibes reverberate around the theatre walls.

Nathan showed that Wednesday was no fluke with a repeat performance of his mega debut. The quirks of scheduling meant that I had seen very little of Kyria in recent months so getting a double dose this week was long overdue. Kyria herself made a stunning debut last May and her feisty but loveable Debbie was masterfully played in both shows.

Versatile Craig Armstrong’s occasional but always hilarious Posh Dad had me rocking in the seat and Lee Hoy beautifully guided Brodie through Dream Ballet.

With mind, heart and soul fully refreshed and invigorated on the double this week I cannot wait to see this epic show again.

Huge thanks to all concerned.

Pat
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

March 14th
Bradley/Tomi/Demi
Ollie/Nathan/Kyria

Two notable returnee's for todays performances. First, Deka who never fails to portray the full spectrum of Jackie's journey.

Second was Tomi who, fresh from his mishap earlier in the week, entered at a slower pace on his bike. I'd not noticed before the way he delivers some lines with a complete deadpan expression.

It's a good job that Demi's Debbie is made of stern stuff. The look that she got from Bradley after Wayne Sleep and been declared "bent as a nine bob note" would have withered lesser people. She was also kept waiting some time before Bradley declined her offer.

I don't know if a decision has been made to give the Billy's free reign during Angry Dance, but I've not seen such vociferous screaming & shouting before from both Bradley & Ollie.

I was fortunate to see Nathan on as Michael for the evening. Four shows in and he looks completely at home. Starting with the boxing scene, right through to the final scene his Michael is very much his own. There was a very nice touch just before the finale started where he gave a thumbs up to Ollie.

As for Ollie, every performance contains a multitude of differences. Soaking up the ovations after Electricity, he lowers his arms and aims his smile directly at Deka. It was almost as if he was seeking confirmation that his routine was that good. It was by far the best one I've seen from him.

There was a lovely moment outside the theatre between the shows. Bradley walks by almost un-noticed. As someone spots him and says "great performance", he turns round flashes that winning smile of his and simply says "thank you".
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Thursday 19th March (Matinee)
Well we were lucky here in Bridlington we saw the eclipse today, but nothing eclipsed that performance by 10 year old Thomas, at yesterday's matinee, Wow! what a bundle of energy, so enjoying himself on stage, his singing, dancing and acting, was so outstanding, some great facial expressions, you could say a “cheeky Billy” I wonder if he's as good as that at soccer, glad I'm not his referee!! So he plays soccer at South Kirby, what a mining area that was, you wouldn't know that now. I know its a daft thing but something I noticed and gave me a chuckle was the way he leans against the door posts etc, as if, do I have to do, or listen, to that, how many times have you seen the kids at home do that. Thomas was ably supported by Todd, in Expressing Yourself and pre Dream Ballet they were outstanding, the schools really enjoyed Todd's antics in the Boxing scene, he does make me laugh, as he always looks a bit dangerous on a bike, I'd hate to be overtaking him in my car.
Again I always enjoy Connie as Debbie, great little dancer, also she shows that sparkle towards Billy, also plenty of disgust towards her mum when she can't have her own way.
Ruthie is just a Gem throughout, she always has that smile, love the way she steals a biscuit in Solidarity and her face is a picture, when Billy turns around with that **** a duck line, and I love her heart warming conversation with Billy in the Goodbye Scene. She is such a good polished artist she must give all the junior cast so much confidence throughout the show, to be honest she has been my favourite Mrs. Wilkinson, that I've seen.
Deka again outstanding throughout, massive laughs with his antics with a great Posh Dad and then the Ballet dancer. I think he sells the Olivier Awards to the audience so well, to finish off the proceedings.
The Ensemble were in stitches throughout most of Solidarity, I aren't really sure why, I know one of the stage props used in the dancing scene, shot out into the audience, into row C, landing near a chap sat in the audience who was wearing a flat cap, miners style, and a great big scarf and had a coat on, maybe they noticed him, poor Chris Grahamson face was a picture. I tell you what it was great to see them all having fun. Cheers and Thanks to everyone for a Great Show again.

P.S. As a Yorkshireman I'll will always remember the last Doncaster Billy, Brad Wilson. I cost me 600 quid to bring the family down to see the show.

Barry's corny joke - Paddy went to Spec Savers and bought some new glasses, his wife wasn't happy with them, so she took them back and said to the receptionist these glasses you sold my husband are absolutely useless, “as he still! can't see things, my way!”

Return to “Reviews - London”