Drury Lane Reviews

MusicalFan
Audience Member

Re: Drury Lane Reviews

Post by MusicalFan »

What a great review, Colin! Thank you, and I whole-heartedly agree with your impressions!

I'm already in the process of planning my next trip to Drury Lane, and I have a question for you (or anyone else who's seen multiple BE performances at Drury Lane in a row): how is it to see both the matinee and the evening show in the same day? Is there enough time to grab a bite to eat, or it is pretty much straight on from one show to the next?

Thanks!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

MusicalFan wrote:how is it to see both the matinee and the evening show in the same day? Is there enough time to grab a bite to eat, or it is pretty much straight on from one show to the next?
Hi MusicalFan. I think it depends on which day of the week you go, as the times vary by day. Note the schedule below. On a Thursday you get a 3 1/2 hour break between shows, Saturday just 1/2 hour, and Sunday one hour.
--Chris
The performance schedule is as follows: Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. ($45), Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. ($45) and 8 p.m. ($55), Fridays at 8 p.m. ($60), Saturdays at 5 p.m. ($60), and 8:30 p.m. ($60), and Sundays at 2 p.m. ($60), and 6 p.m. ($55).
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Sounds like the children will be working late. Must not be a child labor restriction.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

accessmenj wrote:Sounds like the children will be working late. Must not be a child labor restriction.
All minors under the age of 16 who are working as models, actors, and in performance work must apply for and receive an employment certificate prior to performing the work. 820 ILCS 205/8 and 8.1 and 56 Ill. Adm. Code 250.305-250.315.
https://www.illinois.gov/idol/faqs/page ... r-faq.aspx
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

CJ-Rochester wrote:
MusicalFan wrote:how is it to see both the matinee and the evening show in the same day? Is there enough time to grab a bite to eat, or it is pretty much straight on from one show to the next?
Hi MusicalFan. I think it depends on which day of the week you go, as the times vary by day. Note the schedule below. On a Thursday you get a 3 1/2 hour break between shows, Saturday just 1/2 hour, and Sunday one hour.
--Chris
The performance schedule is as follows: Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. ($45), Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. ($45) and 8 p.m. ($55), Fridays at 8 p.m. ($60), Saturdays at 5 p.m. ($60), and 8:30 p.m. ($60), and Sundays at 2 p.m. ($60), and 6 p.m. ($55).
I just phoned the box office with the same question. There is food available in either the dining room (this can be pre-booked) or, if there is not enough time between shows, there is limited food available in the bar at the theatre.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

[/quote]

The Saturday evening shows are now at 8:45pm. They changed them because the 5:00pm show was getting out at 8:00 and not much time between shows per a phone call I received from the theater.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Three hours? They are giving full value!

Joking aside, 45 minutes is pretty tight.
MusicalFan
Audience Member

Post by MusicalFan »

I had the meal option when I watched the first preview show. The way this works is that when you book your ticket, you can choose to pay for a meal in addition to the show. You then automatically get a reservation at the restaurant next to the theater (for a value of about $21, if I recall correctly). The Drury Lane consists of a large lobby, bar area (no beers on tap, though :( ), restaurant, theater, and ballrooms -- very much like a fancy hotel. For the dinner, if you booked it with your ticket, you get a choice of salad or soup and a choice of main course. Drinks are extra, as are dessert. For an extra add-on fee you can choose a fancier salad/appetizer or a more upscale main course. (e.g. for an additional $9, I upgraded to the Filet Mignon). The food was excellent. It took about an hour for the dinner (I arrived at 6:30pm for the 8pm show), but then again I wasn't in a huge rush. I think it would be tough to squeeze this dinner into the 45 minutes between the matinee and evening performances on a Saturday.

-MusicalFan
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

I dare say, I rather think Drury Lane didn't schedule their shows on the weekend to accommodate "nuts like us" who think nothing about seeing two shows back to back on the same day.

Hitting two shows consecutively on Thursday allowed me to comfortablely to see both shows (both Billies), and then wander 50 to a 100 yards over to the Hilton where they have a nice bar and restaurant...and which gave me ample opportunity to eat, to calm down, and gleefully try to absorb all that I had witnessed and blown me away at the matinee.

Going on the weekend, I simply plan on taking a sandwich and a bottle of water...that's just fine to sustain me prior to the later show.

See you at the "greatest show on earth."

Colin
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Here is a very positive review from the Windy City Times:

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt ... 51237.html

It appears that Rachel Rockwell is bringing to this production the same liberating direction and choreography that B T McNicholl and Adam Pelty brought to Ogunquit. This is what makes live theater so interesting!

Return to “US Regional Productions Archive”