July 2009 Reviews - NYC

phoebe
Debbie

Re: JULY REVIEWS US

Post by phoebe »

Wow, Tommy! Great review, johnnyc! Many thanks! :D
5 more to look forward to. :)
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese proverb
MariaHolland
Audience Member

Post by MariaHolland »

Thank you so much everyone for all of these thoughtful, wonderfully detailed reviews!! Your time and effort are very much appreciated! :)
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Well, for better or worse, my comments on show #4 (Wednesday night) may be shorter than for the matinee. Billy was played by "the [fill in superlatives] Kiril Kulish," and Michael again was "the [more superlatives, please] David Bologna." Still no new small boy, and sadly, no Mitchell either tonight. :cry: So maybe he has left the show. But Matthew is always good to watch as small boy. The adult actors were the usual suspects we have seen all this week. The audience started out a little flat as opposed to their matinee compatriots, but warmed up when Kiril did his spins at the end of Solidarity. I was surprised at the duration of the applause. Kiril's "f*****g h**l upon first seeing Michael in a dress was the most heartfelt I've witnessed for some time. :lol: :lol: Their Express was wonderful and David milked the audience for all it was worth at the conclusion. :) We know what Kiril can do with the letter scene, and the hankies were much in evidence. I love the Dream Sequence, especially in the hands of as good a ballet dancer as Kiril. His Electricity is always a joy to watch and tonight was no exception. And it's great to see that big smile Kiril gives the cheering audience after he dances this showstopper.

On to the stage door, of course. By the way, I'm slowly discovering the not so obvious fast exits from the first mezzanine. :lol: Must get to that stage door quickly, you know.

A cheer went up as Kiril appeared , but David B. had already run the gauntlet of fans and probably was suffering from writers cramp by then. I stayed back and spotted Kiril's mom, so we had a nice chat. I was surprised that she recognized me right off and told me she hadn't seen me for a while. :o When Kiril finished with the fans and came over with us, he recognized me too, and we shook hands. That boy is a real joy to be around. Always so cheerful.

OK, people. Several forum members were in the audience and I am counting on a few of them being at Thursday's show too. Meaning, someone else pick up the reviews now, please.
HugsY2k
Tall Boy

Post by HugsY2k »

johnnyc wrote: OK, people. Several forum members were in the audience ...
I ended up buying a last minute ticket from a stranger who was trying to rid an extra. I get to my aisle seat approximately 10 minutes before showtime, scope my surroundings to find johnnyc sitting to my immediate left! Talk about small world. :D :D :D At first, I had to clue him in some minor details who I was (how he tagged along with me and my coworker back in Jan. backstage; how I freaked out when I found out I was sitting in Orch at the Tonys the night before at Cafe Edison during dinner). Oh, he remembered!! :lol:

It's all good. :P
Broadway/London/US Tour, including Canada
Performances Attended: a number between 150-200 :)
Billys: 32
Michaels: 20

last update: June 2013
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Nice reviews, johnnyc.
HugsY2k wrote: how I freaked out when I found out I was sitting in Orch at the Tonys the night before at Cafe Edison during dinner). Oh, he remembered!! :lol:
That scene is forever etched in my mind. I thought I was going to have to call 911 for you. . .
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

I forgot to mention when I reported on Tommy's show Tuesday night, that he gave a Vulcan Salute when Billy said "yeah" after showed Mrs Wilkenson the Star Trek magazine at the start of The Letter scene. I don't recall seeing the other American Billys do this. I know Kiril didn't last night. Is this a "Tommyism?" 8-)
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

johnnyc wrote:Is this a "Tommyism?" 8-)
Yes it would seem as if it is.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Tommy is the only Billy that does it. Another "Tommyism" is how he leans back in the chair when reacting to Dead Mum's admonishments about the 50p and the trainers. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

ERinVA wrote:Tommy is the only Billy that does it. Another "Tommyism" is how he leans back in the chair when reacting to Dead Mum's admonishments about the 50p and the trainers. :D
That's right. Well remembered ERinVA.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Another thing I haven't mentioned about the performances this week is Daniel Oreskes's reaction when he first sees the male dancer appear on the other side of the stage while dad is trying to see what's going on inside the Royal Ballet. Most of you haven't experienced Daniel as dad, and I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I really need to tell you Daniel first lets out a gasp and throws his hands up over his eyes. :P And later, he hugs the wall as he tentatively inches over to accept the offered cigarette. Finally, after the lady tells dad "no smoking in here" he protests, describing the person he saw smoking by running his hand up and down in wide half circles just below his belt line. The audience always cracks up at dad's behavior in this scene. :P :P

On an unrelated issue, I also want to say that the more I witness small boy yelling "w****r as he exits the boxing scene, the more I'm convinced that expression just does not work on Broadway. I never hear more than a few chuckles from the audience. I think the reason is that the expression isn't that common in The U.S. Even if the audience knows what the word refers to, they just don't see the humor in a little kid yelling it to an adult. The production needs to come up with something American audiences can readily identify with to add comedy to the boy's exit.

Return to “Reviews Archive”