July 2009 - UK Reviews

patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: July 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by patc »

A look of complete surprise on Fox's face followed by the fantastic smile which transmitted itself to Kate.
I can just picture it now. You should have had to pay extra for that extra Fox smile :D

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Den. Great review. Tanner really is raising the bar at the moment.

Looking forward to receiving the photo for the gallery.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Thanks Den. Upon my recommendation a friend of mine was going last night with twelve of his work colleague friends to celebrate his birthday. From what you have said, and from what I saw on Thursday afternoon, I would be very surprised if he/they were disappointed!
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

If I had more money and was free every evening I would book up Billy tickets for the next two weeks- just to make sure I can see Tanner. Unfortunately this can't be done.
He sounds amazing!! I'm sure I will forget to breathe when I eventually see him.
Charlotte x
troscapole
Small Boy

Post by troscapole »

to bubsycm, tanner is a good ballet dancer, however have you seen tom? :?
troscapole
Small Boy

Post by troscapole »

:D What a great review pinkick103, better than mine and spot on! what a night, Brad the utter professional and as you said full of expression's and smiles, his dancing and singing fantastic, Just hope I get to see him again soon, well done Brad you are fantastic as Billy Elliot!!! :D :

James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by James.R »

Saturday 25th July ‘09

Evening: Tanner, George, Annabelle
Phil S as Dad

Den has done an excellent review and I would add my praise of an utterly breathtaking performance by Tanner.

I thought instead I’d add a view on Phil S playing Dad. Phil Snowden. The multi-talented Phil S must have performed just about every male lead role in the cast list at some point in time (except of course Billy….but I’ll wipe that frightening image from my mind) and I think playing Dad for me he introduced a completely authentic version.

I hope he doesn’t take this the wrong way..but what I get is not a headline actor/thesp but a totally real northern Dad. How does this come across? Well, maybe it’s the reversal in the way he plays some of the lines. Whereas some insults and observations are usually shouted out into the audience, Phil’s take is more introspective and self doubting. Where something would perhaps normally get directed at the dress circle, he directs it to the other cast member or to himself (but still clearly and meaningfully), often adding some extra dialogue that reinforces those differences. I have to say I also appreciate when he sometimes reverts to some of the older lines (“Oi, less of that bloody language in this house!” bringing a good laugh).

I don’t know how much he is much aided and abetted by the costume department but I think even Phil’s dress sense (or is that un-dress sense) adds to a more realistic Dad, beaten down by all the burdens of family and the strike and not really caring what’s tucked in…

On the two performances I think I saw an interesting effect of this pitching of the role in the much better, fiercer and aggressive attitude of the Scottish dancer to Dad. It was much more in his face this time.

And then there was …the mysterious white balloon….

I first saw it, skulking about at the back of the stage during Shine, dodging the smoke clouds (yes the machine was actually working today) like some adolescent in a night club. It travelled across the back of the stage and then moved forward, ducking under the proscenium arch slightly as Billy was doing his shadow dancing. As Grandma began her life story it went for a quick exploratory circuit of the lighting gantry above the stalls before taking a quick look-see up across the front of the Dress and then Grand Circle.

Having surveyed exits it made a break for freedom out of the domed roof but must have been caught in the aircon downdraft as it plummeted at high speed downward and stopped just short of head height above row H whereupon it returned agonizingly slowly up the front of the circles to temporary safety in the corner of the roof, where I saw an usher trying to coax it down before finally taking it into custody and asking it to return to it’s prop cupboard.

I can only imagine the back chatter going on between lighting (at the back of the dress circle) and the stage manager as Rover went on patrol blotting out lights and follow spots. I did quickly check to see if I had No. 6 on my lapel….
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks jamie.r. You are quite correct. Phil really is a multi-talented actor, singer and dancer.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, Den, for transporting all of us to the VPT with such a rich and vivid description of last evening's Tannerific performance.

jamie.r's comments on Phil S are timely and accurate. It is always interesting to watch Phil play his multi-characters in his own very special way.

Pat
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Tanner sounds amazing. I cant believe all the times ive been, and yet I still havnt seen him. I really hope to catch him soon.
Poor Barnaby - we did miss him Fri night. Whats up with him ??? xxxxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1

Return to “Reviews Archive”