Re: "Through The Lens"

For off-topic content
NIKKIE-NIKKIE
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by NIKKIE-NIKKIE »

pexcornel wrote:While I was in London at the VPT, I bought the 40 pounds Limited Edition Photographic Book by David Scheinmann, "Billy Elliot Through the Lens".

Now I had time to look at it and I tell you is worth every penny. It's a fantastic journey trough the days of the BETM from the first days of rehearsals up to the first night.

It has unseen pictures of the original cast. These guys work made BETM the success that this show is today.
I have started a thread on this subject, as I know some of our new members may not have heard about this, so anyone who has this book, please provide your feedback as well.
Take life with a pinch of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

It's a fantastic book for me, someone who never saw the original cast, so it must be more special for people who did. I absolutely love it, filled with amazing photos, most of which you will not see anywhere else, from first rehearsals to Opening Night. A truly wonderful book that i recommened to any fan of the show, even if they haven't seen it in the UK
x
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I've been threatening to buy this for a long time and finally got it a few weeks ago. I completely agree with pexcornel and chocchipcookie26 that it is worth its weight in gold. Not only are the pictures stunning but reading it page by page from the start (rather than picking pages at random) really brought home the effort and teamwork that was involved in getting the show up and running. It must have been exciting, exhilarating and exhausting putting such all-new territory together.

For anyone (like me) who wasn't there from the beginning it is an amazing history of the early days and, as you progress through it, you may find it an emotional read. I did. It must have been an awful wrench for all those involved when the original team began to break up, i.e., the first three Billy's having to leave.

Something else about this book is that it really and truly makes you wish you had been there when it happened.

What an incredible team. I take my hat off to the lot of them as well as the photographer.

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I treasure my copy!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I'm going to start reading mine again tonight.

Thanks pexcornel for starting this discussion.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
hammy
Ballet Girl

Post by hammy »

It really is one of those items i love.
The front cover is stunning and it has pride of place on my shelf. I love the pictures and have looked at it so many times. I've even drawn pictures of the photos before. It brings back all the great memories of my visits. It also makes me wish i had seen the orignal show but its great to have one part of the start. You see the routes of the show and how they bloom into an almighty production.
Leon 2/05/07, Josh 28/12/07, Corey 16/06/08, Corey 12/07/08, Layton 28/08/08, Tanner 27/12/08, Fox 4/07/09, Tom 15/08/2009, Tom (5th Anniversary show) - 31/3/2010, Rhys 21/10/10
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

I love finding relics on the internet. It's still possible to get a glimpse of the early days ... Follow this link or replace georgemaguire with the name of any of the other original Billys for more nostalgia. Reminds me of 3rd November 2005 when I got home from the theatre after watching my first performance (with George as Billy) to search on the internet for more info and found the old forum. 30 shows later ....

http://www.billyelliotthemusical.com/ge ... uire.html#

A site which is great to look at now and again for this sort of thing is http://www.archive.org/index.php . Try typing http://www.billyelliotthemusical.com into the search box and look back at the intro to the original pre-production website. Many of the links unfortuntely don't go beyond the intro screen (the detail in the archive being a bit bare for some sites). I did smile when I saw the quote on the 2005 version of the Billy site: 'The Best British Musical Since Oliver'!
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

I love my book. I bought it in Dress Circle a few months back. It has pride of place on my shelf and I look at it all the time. I wish I'd seen the original cast too! It would be amazing if they could publish something with the current cast, or even had some of those limited edition photos for sale. I really like the ones they have got but as I didn't see the originals it would mean more to me to have a lovely photo of one of the Billys I have seen!
Charlotte x
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

I would suggest to the creative team the release of a DVD with the electronic press kits for every Billy.
I just can't stand the thought that I might never see Tanner's pirouettes as Billy, or Oliver Taylor that I never saw. Or any Billy that I never saw and people appreciate that much.
NEVER is an awful long time. They should do that.

In this era of multimedia, the history of every Billy must be remembered somehow. If not, it's just SAD.
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Heck, we can't even get them to do a Broadway cast recording! :(
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “General Chat”