Re: Chat About Seacoast Rep Portsmouth NH Feb 7 - Mar 9 2019

Post by angelenroute »

Great story. Thank you. :)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

BILLY AND THE LAW

Post by accessmenj »

I have seen Billy Elliot The Musical in various states around the country, and followed all the international performances on this forum. I must say that I have been annoyed by state or country laws that restrict the performances.

The four performances that I saw in Pennsylvania did not allow Billy to fly in Dream Ballet, since minors can not perform on cables hanging in the air. I noted that the work rules for children restrict the hours allowed in some localities. In some countries, all the children in the cast must be replaced after a certain number of shows, no matter how much rest they get. I always thought that the state should stay out of regulating Theater-Children work rules.

But now I see a disturbing trend in the venues that present BETM. It used to be that multiple boys were engaged whenever the show planned many weeks of performances or multiple performances on one day. Now, the fact that there is only one actor to play Billy does not stop the venue from overworking him. This will lead to pressure to perform with an injury or sickness. “The show must go on” should not apply to minors.

I still do not believe that government should set the rules for things that they do not understand. However, unless the private sector shows more restraint, less greed, and better judgment, governments have to step in with regulations. Hopefully, the fear of new regulations will motivate future venues to adopt their own rules concerning the welfare of the children.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Chat About Seacoast Rep Portsmouth NH Feb 7 - Mar 9 2019

Post by kport »

There is no greater tribute to a show than a video produced by an actor. Especially when that actor is a Ballet Girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZjUPtIU5E
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: BILLY AND THE LAW

Post by kport »

According to Seacoast's program, the following roles had Understudies, ready to fill in at any time: Tony, Michael, Mrs Wilkinson, Posh Boy, Debbie, Mr Braithwaite, Dead Mum, Older Billy.......and Billy.

The Stage Manager, Music Director, Parents/Guardians, Fight Director, Flight Director, Director/Choreographer and Theatre Management - and the cast members themselves - always ensure the safety and well-being of all the cast, at all times.

As a matter of interest, Liam (Billy) was in NYC 16 hours after the final curtain call at Seacoast, auditioning for the Joffrey Ballet Intensive Summer Course. Not only did he gain a place, and a scholarship, but he did so by winning at Platinum Level - placing him in the one percent of dancers.

This will provide a glimpse of the joy behind this production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZjUPtIU5E
atreyu
George

Re: BILLY AND THE LAW

Post by atreyu »

accessmenj wrote:But now I see a disturbing trend in the venues that present BETM. It used to be that multiple boys were engaged whenever the show planned many weeks of performances or multiple performances on one day. Now, the fact that there is only one actor to play Billy does not stop the venue from overworking him. This will lead to pressure to perform with an injury or sickness. “The show must go on” should not apply to minors.

I still do not believe that government should set the rules for things that they do not understand. However, unless the private sector shows more restraint, less greed, and better judgment, governments have to step in with regulations. Hopefully, the fear of new regulations will motivate future venues to adopt their own rules concerning the welfare of the children.
I, too, share the concern of accessenj regarding overworking Billys, hence my post pointing out the 5 show/50.5 hour sequence. I was initially critical of Seacoast based on speculation but have retreated somewhat from that stance based on available evidence. Still see need to emphasize caution though. It is not a black and white issue, a lot depends on the particulars - the boy, the challenge of the particular production and yes, the economics.

Seacoast made it well known that they need to make $250,000 worth of repairs and that it is mandated by . . . I forget exactly who but I suppose it would be civic authorities. And I happened to be there one night when it was raining heavily outside and one just can't appreciate a mere text description of the multiple places they had to place buckets to catch leaks and still having wet spots around the lobby. So 'greed' may not be quite the right term in the case of Seacoast; but on the other hand, it must also be said that fixing the leaks should not entail overworking 13-year-olds either!
kport wrote:According to Seacoast's program, the following roles had Understudies, ready to fill in at any time: Tony, Michael, Mrs Wilkinson, Posh Boy, Debbie, Mr Braithwaite, Dead Mum, Older Billy.......and Billy
It does seem to me that the question remains of whether it requires an injury to Billy to bring the understudy in. Because one would rather steer clear of that and perhaps just schedule a show for the understudy in order to avoid pushing the main Billy past his limits.

At any rate I wholeheartedly agree that it should not be left for government to get involved and that theatres had better show they can handle the responsibility of looking after their minors or else government will have to step in. Perhaps, because New Hampshire is the Live Free or Die state, Seacoast probably hasn't had to concern itself with governmental oversight. But neither would it have wanted to be the cause of requiring it.
kport wrote:As a matter of interest, Liam (Billy) was in NYC 16 hours after the final curtain call at Seacoast, auditioning for the Joffrey Ballet Intensive Summer Course. Not only did he gain a place, and a scholarship, but he did so by winning at Platinum Level - placing him in the one percent of dancers.
A matter of interest. Hmm. Let's review. The post-production cast party started around midnight (that's when the public was kicked out of the theatre); Daylight Saving Time began so we lost an hour of sleep; and Liam and his family had at least a 4.5-hour car ride in light snowfall as preparation for this audition. And he won at Platinum Level. WOW!!! And Double WOW!!!

Return to “2019 Regional & Community Theatre Productions”