Forum Founder

March 2009 US

Post by JohnH »

Post your March reviews here.
Todd
Dad

Re: March 2009

Post by Todd »

Here's a very enthusiastic internet review, in which I would agree with everything they said except for the location of where the show is set ! (see final paragraph)

Salt Lake City
Deseret News
By Erica Hansen

Published: Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:14 p.m. MDT

"Billy Elliot"

When we told people we were seeing this show, they'd light up and gush that it would be "the best show you'll ever see."

I'm not one to enjoy a lot of pre-show buildup as it usually leads to post-show let-down.

But as soon as Kiril Kulish (there are three Billys who rotate performances) let loose in his first real dance number, I put down my pen and notepad as I did not want to take my eyes off of that kid.

The whole cast was solid, but "Billy Elliot" is about Billy. And Kulish's dancing and acting moved me to tears numerous times. And when he answers the question, "What does it feel like when you're dancing?" I couldn't help but leap to my feet in appreciation for the phenomenal performance.

Based on the 2000 movie of the same name, this is one of those times Broadaway (and, first, London's West End) got it right.

This musical will certainly be a main contender for many Tony Awards.

Fair warning: "Billy Elliot" is set in a poor Irish mining town whose workers are on strike. There is very strong language (delivered in accents) and some sexual innuendo.
hammy
Ballet Girl

Post by hammy »

Irish?
Leon 2/05/07, Josh 28/12/07, Corey 16/06/08, Corey 12/07/08, Layton 28/08/08, Tanner 27/12/08, Fox 4/07/09, Tom 15/08/2009, Tom (5th Anniversary show) - 31/3/2010, Rhys 21/10/10
NIKKIE-NIKKIE
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by NIKKIE-NIKKIE »

hammy wrote:Irish?
That would make it Billy O'Elliot then would it not :D :lol: :lol:
Take life with a pinch of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

NIKKIE-NIKKIE wrote:
hammy wrote:Irish?
That would make it Billy O'Elliot then would it not :D :lol: :lol:
I have it on good authority that since San Francisco is being canceled (sorry, too much chance of an earthquake damaging the sets), Billy will open instead in Dublin in 2010. And yes, it will be Billy O'Elliot there. :lol: :lol:
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

I am so gullible that I believed that for a second :roll: :lol: But i got it when i read the posts above :)
Oh dearrr :P
x
Geridith
Tall Boy

Post by Geridith »

I'll share some funny bloopers from last night's performance:

Thurs, March 26th

Debbie's shoe flew off during her "big moment" and she kept shrieking "MOM" while trying not to laugh. One of the ballet girls picked it up and continued to dance with it in her hand until their costume change.

Then as Tommy was climbing up on the toilet wall for the "bit old aren' you miss" line, the door swung open too early. He grabbed for it but didn't catch it, and was left awkwardly clinging to the wall. He stopped for a moment, got a grip on the wall, and then went right on going with the line. The look on his face was priceless though.

There was also an announcement before the second half, a cast change for Mr. Braithwaite. I didn't quite catch who took over, but that mostly consisted of the u/s taking Thommie's bow and that was it. I hope he's ok...
LONDON: Liam M (1), Tom (3), Rhys Y (2), Dean Charles (1); NEW YORK: Trent (11), Tommy (10), Kiril (9), David (8), Tanner (3), Liam R (3), Dayton (3), Michael D (3), Alex (2), Jacob (1); CHICAGO: Tommy (1), Giuseppe (1), Cesar (1) = 63 shows total :)
BETMNY Billy Schedule on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/BETMNY
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for that Geridith. It's moments like those that make live theatre so fascinating.

Keep the reviews coming.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Geridith
Tall Boy

Post by Geridith »

I just remembered one more thing: I sat with this really nice family from Colorado that happened to be standing behind me in line for rush (they used their teenagers' student IDs for tickets, and I gave them my extra) and was happily answering all sorts of random theatre and BETM questions during intermission. The younger ones kept asking what things meant, English phrases and such, and then the youngest boy looks at me and asks: "And what was that girl trying to show Billy?"

Total silence from our whole group. I looked at his mom, I wasn't about to try and explain the "hoohoo" line to a little kid. The older ones, who definitely knew what Debbie meant were snickering. The mom finally told him, and then quickly changed the subject.

Good times, lol... :)
LONDON: Liam M (1), Tom (3), Rhys Y (2), Dean Charles (1); NEW YORK: Trent (11), Tommy (10), Kiril (9), David (8), Tanner (3), Liam R (3), Dayton (3), Michael D (3), Alex (2), Jacob (1); CHICAGO: Tommy (1), Giuseppe (1), Cesar (1) = 63 shows total :)
BETMNY Billy Schedule on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/BETMNY
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Excellent :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”