September 2009 - UK Reviews

JohnH
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

September 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by JohnH »

Brilliant reviews for August, thank you to eveyone who took the time to put 'finger to keyboard'. :D Looking forward to what September will bring!

PS. Please don't let the length of some of the reviews put you off writing one of your own. Even if its only a line or two about how the show made you feel, something you hadn't noticed before or a funny moment. I know I am not the only one who loves reading a review from someone new.
daff55
Small Boy

Re: September 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by daff55 »

got to see the show last night :lol:

I think Trevor was such a huge act to follow, but I think the new George will settle in perfectly to the role. Well done David.

Tanner, I haven't seen Tanner for a while and I was blown away with Dream Ballet. Wow.

Jake is ever so funny. I love the way the three Michaels are so different.Hilarious

Francesca - good things come in little bundles.Brilliant.

Again brilliant performances from all the cast. Had me crying, laughing and singing(silently)

Appologies for the shortness of review but I'm off to work.
troscapole
Small Boy

Post by troscapole »

;) nice review daff55 , quick but to the point , my wife went to this show last night , we had to swop she has been 5 times and I had been 50 times so i guess I had to let her go Agrrrrrrrr
I missed Tanners performance but I understand that it was great again. She did not know who the dad was, she reckons it wasn't Joe, David or Phil, so who could it be? :)
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

It was David - he was amaing, i still haven't seen Joe but i've seen David 3 times and i love him, he's brilliant

We were next to your wife and she was lovely :) Eliot was a little star :D Loved him, especially the waving his hands under the curtain at the end :D
Who was the Tall Boy? He was brilliant in the audition scene

I will write a proper review at the weekend, when our main computer will be fixed and i wont be on my brother's laptop!
x
billybuddies4eva
Tall Boy

Post by billybuddies4eva »

September 1st 2009

Billy-Tanner
Michael-Jake
Debbie-Francesca

Mrs Wilkinson was played by Gillian, with David as Dad.

For the first time, I'd made an effort NOT to look at the Billy Board. Using all my strength and willpower, I managed to do this and entered the auditorioum buzzing with excitement. I bumped into Helena ( chocchipcookie26 ) on the way back from the toilets, and she very kindly told out who was billy :lol: ;) ( which I was actually quite happy about, the suspense was killing me )...

So on walked Tanner. I'm extremely pleased that I had the opportunity to see Tanner again, he's got the whole package, flawless, graceful dancing, convincing acting and a lovely singing voice ( although this did give out a little bit in electricity, but he still as sounded sweet and as pure as ever). Tanner's portrayal of Billy has so much depth to it, making a really interesting character to see develop throughout the play. The teenage billy displays angst, surliness and is quite defensive. He tries to put on a macho facade, not letting anyone cotton on to his insecurities or vunerability. However, by Express, Tanner's billy has really got rid of all his inhabitions and goes crazy .

Jake and Tanner work so well as pair, Tanner's rather " cool " billy contrasts perfectly with Jake's carefree, over the top Michael. Jake is a great Michael and I've been lucky enough to see him twice so far. He really comes into his own in the winter scene, showing naivety and perfect comic timing. He milked it for all it's worth last night and got huge laughs from the audience.

Francesa is a fab Debbie. Her debbie is fiesty and outspoken, big personality for someone so tiny. I thought Fleur was small, but Francesa was considerably outsized by Tanner which made the toilet scene even more funny :lol:

I haven't seen David as dad for ages and it was quite a nice change to see him again. David is hilarious in the scene prior to electricity and it refreshing to see the different way he plays dad, a little softer, always trying to do the right things for his son, being cruel to be kind in a way. I've always thought Joe Caffery is the most emotional dad during he could be a star, and I was curious to see if David could play out the scene, creating the same about of poignancey. He was amazing, however I felt there wasn't the same amount of chemistry between him and Craig as there was between Joe and Craig. I don't know why but the passion both of the fuel into the scene is phenomenal and it just can't be beaten.

Both Anne, Craig and Gillian were on top form. Gillian is the perfect Mrs Wilkinson. Very blunt, but only trying to the best for Billy at the same time. I loved the way that during the letter, when Billy breaks down and stops singing, she makes a concious effort to carry on the best she can to try and console him.

Dream Ballet was stunning to watch, so fluent and graceful. I think this scene had extra sparkle tonight becase Tanner and Barnaby look very similar under all the lighting and which the smoke. This made the scene just that little bit more believable, the connection between them both was wonderful. I love the way Barnaby gives Billy a nod at the end of the dance, as if saying " Don't worry Billy, It's gonna be alright "....

So, another incredible show and my last until I see it on Broadway :mrgreen:

Corey x3 Layton x3 Josh x2 Tanner x3 Brad x2 Hogan x1 Sam x1 Liam x1 Travis x1 Ollie x2 Fox 1 Trent x0.5 Davidx0.5

Shaun x4 Jonty x3 George x3 Ryan x2 Dean x2 Daniel x2 George x3 Brad x1 Jake x2 Keane x1 Connor x1
han25
Small Boy

Post by han25 »

Aww that is such a good review, i agree with everything you said :D I can't believe i've seen Francesca without knowing it was her haha :lol:
Billy : Matthew x1 Trent x1 Layton x2 Ollie x3 Tom x3 Tanner x2 Brad x1 Dean x1
Michael : Shaun x4 George x3 Lewis x1 Jake x3 Connor x1 Connor K x1 Joe x1
Debbie : Leyci x2 Scarlet x2 Alicia x1 Annabelle x1 Fleur x4 Francesca x4

31/3/10- One of the best nights of my life...

chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Wow. I can't top that! (And sorry for saying Hope :P) <-- she's lovely by the way :)
Tuesday 1st September
Billy - Tanner
Michael - Jake
Debbie - Said Fleur, but it was Francesca
Dad - David B
Mrs W. - Gillian

Well, i'd heard some amazing things about Tanner, and although i really wanted Fox (again :roll:), i am very glad i got to see Tanner. Glad to hear it's still Lewis' voice on the announcement, i love his 'filamen' :)
We were sat next to Eliot's Mum, and she was absolutely lovely :)
When Tanner came on, i was expecting someone much taller, i think because i'm growing, they all look quite small to me now, which is nice, because i wouldn't want someone much taller! He's got a nice pure voice, and although it is obviously quite hard for him to reach the high notes (Deep Into The Ground, and towards the end of Electricity), he has a decent voice, and such an amazing Geordie accent for an American! He is a very serious, moody Billy compared to the Billies i've seen before, both incredibly smiley (Fox and Brad!), but he has his happy moments, Grandma's Song was really touching (Ann - amazing as usual - never leave!), Express, Born To Boogie, Swan Lake, Finale... he's smiley in all of those and he's not quite as serious as i thought he would be - a real teenage Billy though, unbelievable that he's actually a day younger than Fox!
I was very happy to see David B. as Dad, i absolutely love him in the role, he seems the perfect age, has a real softness to his Dad, he's actually a really really great singer and the scene in front of the curtain is absolutely hilarious :D I can't believe that in 6 shows, i still haven't seen Joe! (Phil S. x2, David B. x3 and Phil W. x1) But i don't mind, i really love David as Dad. And Craig as Tony, he's so emotional, what an actor he is, crying at the end leading up to 'We can't all be f****** dancers' which set me off, he's such an amazing actor and i'm almost crying now just remembering that. I hope he stays for a long long time
I love Gillian as Mrs. Wilkinson, she's quite soft in the role, and has a fantastic singing voice, she's very emotional at the end and in the Letter scene, when she starts singing, when Billy stops.
The new George, this was always going to be odd, but he did a great job, i actually think he says the lines quite slowly, someone else thought he rushed, i don't know! But he'll settle in no problem.
Eliot as Small Boy was the most adorable little kid ever, a real star, every line :) He was absolutely brilliant and i hope he does get to play Billy some day, we were told he really wants to :)
Jake as Michael, he's brilliant :) Over-the-top yet great and vulnerable in the Winter Scene, his ook towards Billy on his bike at the end shows you how great he is at playing both sides of Michael. Little problem with the headband falling off in Express, he sorted that out fantastically :)

Solidarity was a real highlight , Tanner's pirouettes are just out of the world, incredble, such speed and precision, just WOW!
And Swan Lake, it's just the perfect combination, Tanner looks so like Barnaby at some points and it was the most beautiful thing, such grace and even when getting covered with smoke, it's the most magical sight i can think of.
Electricity, well i'd heard all about Tanner#s Electricity and it did not disappoint, his dancing is just so technically perfect and beautiful, and his fouettes with his 'lifting his arms up', there are not words to describe it, you have to see it
So all in all, an amazing show, i might edit this and add more, infact i will! But this computer is being very odd...
billybuddies4eva
Tall Boy

Post by billybuddies4eva »

Fab review Helena :mrgreen: Lovely to finally meet after months of talking :) , and seeing that I missed you at West End Live :roll:

Corey x3 Layton x3 Josh x2 Tanner x3 Brad x2 Hogan x1 Sam x1 Liam x1 Travis x1 Ollie x2 Fox 1 Trent x0.5 Davidx0.5

Shaun x4 Jonty x3 George x3 Ryan x2 Dean x2 Daniel x2 George x3 Brad x1 Jake x2 Keane x1 Connor x1
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Wow. What a start to the month. Three fantastic reviews already. Thanks daff55, billybuddies4eva and chocchipcookie26.

Keep them coming folks :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

chocchipcookie26 wrote:Solidarity was a real highlight , Tanner's pirouettes are just out of the world, incredble, such speed and precision, just WOW!
Yeah, I thought about that, at that time in the story Billy shouldn't be so perfect but then again, Tanner can't be anything than perfect when it comes to dancing.
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.

Return to “Reviews Archive”