September 2009 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SEPTEMBER REVIEWS US

Post by ERinVA »

phoebe wrote:Many thanks, Todd, for such prompt reviews. (Now I feel even greater remorse for not yet posting about last Tuesday's show.)

It was especially interesting to hear how the audience responded after Tommy was replaced by Trent. Even though the Billys are theoretically interchangeable (and, on the most superficial level, they are, as evidenced in that show), during the course of the show, people do become attached to "their" Billy. This is probably a sign of good acting; Tommy had generated empathy with him, and no matter how competent Trent was in the performance, he wasn't Tommy.
On the other hand, some of us members consider ourselves very fortunate to get a "twofer," as long as the reason for the Billy switch isn't due to something serious.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Re: Todd's review "There was a rare no-standing ovation from the audience at the very end" do you mean at the end of
"Electricty" or the end of the show? If you mean no standing ovation at the end of the show, that would indeed be rare.
At the end of the show there was no standing ovation. . .. the first time I'd seen that happen in the New York shows I've attended.

Yes, a standing ovation at the end of "Electricity" is very rare. I almost feel like it's warranted with that number, as difficult as it is to perform and as great a job as the Billys do in performing it.
theluji
Small Boy

Post by theluji »

Ive finished my mini billython(24,25,26 mat & eve) and came back to Japan.
I could not attend David's final show but I was lucky enough.
Because I was able to see all Billys :)
One thing I wanted to see Tommy's Electricity...so I have to go to Chicago next year.
I hope his ankle get well soon. and for Trent,he did a great job in such as unusual situation.
Sorry for the ending without standing ovation,audience around me,what happened to 1st boy?
why why why? maybe they could not keep focus to watching the show.
I want to write a review more but getting tired after long flight.
so I will try to write in this weekend.

Hi ! Todd.
I think I was just right front of you on Friday night, my seat was D13 in left orch.
and I was one of standing for applause after Kiril's Erectricity.
I wanted to say hello to you if I knew you are there before the show.
We almost saw the same shows like as
Todd wrote:For the first time ever, I got a bit teary during "Express Yourself" of all numbers, knowing that David Bologna was doing the scene for the final time with David Alvarez. As always, they looked to be having a great time up there with big smiles all around.
I got exactly same feeling and most impressed scene for me.
New York
Billy : David A x 4 , Kiril x 1 , Trent x 1.3 , Tommy x 0.7 , Liam R x 1 , Dayton x 2 , Jacob x 1 , Alex x 1
Michael : David B x 5 , Keean x 2 ,Trevor x 4 , Jake x 1
Tall Boy : Keean x 3 , Tommy x 2 , Kiril x 1, Kylend x 3 , Ben x 3

Chicago
Billy : Cesar x 2
Michael : Gabriel x 2
Tall Boy : Spencer x 2

Toronto
Billy : Cesar x 1 , Marcus x 1 , Myles x 1
Michael : Jack x 2 , Dillon x 1
Tall Boy : Dillon x 2 , Jack x 1
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Sunday, September 27
Billy - Trent Kowalik
Michael - David Bologna
All other cast members were regulars

The Sunday afternoon crowd was a very festive one, as I'm sure there were a number of well-wishers there for the cast members who were doing their final performance. They reacted much more heartily than most audiences, laughing louder and clapping longer than usual, which added to the special feel of the day.

I would have to say this was one of the best "Billy Elliot" performances I've ever seen, as the cast seemed on fire and performed everything spot on. The dancing, singing and acting were all first rate. I imagine it must be extra challenging for whomever is performing as Billy on shows like these, when they have to try to keep their emotions in check and concentrate on giving their usual excellent performance. Trent Kowalik was pretty much flawless from what I could tell. He and David Bologna looked to be having a great time during "Express Yourself," as they smiled and laughed throughout the number. I didn't notice anything different that they did for it being their last time together, except for a comment that David made at the very beginning of the dancing part where he said something like, "Let's make this the best one yet!" or words to that effect. At the end of it, he looked up to the balcony and gave a thumbs up or a fist pump and smiled, as I gather that his family might have been sitting up there. He got a well-deserved, loud and long applause for his curtain call at the end of the scene. I was hoping he might get a standing ovation as a way of honoring him for his contriubutions to the show but I don't think many audience members knew it was his last performance since no announcement had been made beforehand about anyone leaving.

Trent's performance of "Electricity" was probably the best I've ever seen him do. He stood in his finish position for quite awhile soaking up the applause which went on for a great while. He looked around the theater and a smile eventually appeared, as I'm sure he was pleased by his performance as well as the audience's appreciation of it.

Everyone - including me - held it together very well until the "Letter Reprise" scene. As Trent began singing, his voice started to shake and crack a bit, as the emotions of the day seemed to finally catch up with him. Either that, or his acting is so good that he's able to achieve that effect on a regular basis, I'm not sure which. At any rate, you could hear a few "aww"s from the audience and I started to get a bit choked up myself. As he climbed off the stage and Michael/David rode his bike onto it for the final time, Trent ran back up on stage for the final goodbye kiss on the cheek. As he climbed back off the stage I couldn't quite make out if he said "See you Michael" or "See you David" but David clearly said, "See you Trent" and then the tears began to fall. One of the most emotional moments I've ever seen at any show.

Everyone was able to perk up for the Finale although there were some visibly emotional ballet girls. Just before the final curtain fell, some cast members brought flowers from the wings and presented them to David Bologna, Erin Whyland (Debbie, who was also doing her final show) and Erin's sister, one of the ballet girls.

The cast remained inside for longer than usual afterwards, probably having a short private ceremony for the departing cast. Finally, they began coming out the stage door and posed for pictures and signed autographs until all fans in attendance had been acknowledged. All the Billys and Michaels were at the stage door except for David Alvarez who had left with his family for some time off. A great final show for my 4-show New York visit, with the best of the bunch saved for last.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the great review, Todd.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks a great review Todd! Did David really say "See you Trent" instead of "See you Billy", or did he say both? Those of us who are big fans of the show would get the significance, but I wonder how the general audience reacted?
:/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks, Todd. I always look forward to your reviews, as you write so well and so vividly. I never fail to feel like I was at the show after reading one. Sounds like a great send off for David. We'll see him on stage again, no doubt. He's just a bundle of talent.
billyforlife
Tall Boy

Post by billyforlife »

Thanks for the great review, Todd, I even started to tear up a bit reading it and I never even saw David perform! ( :cry: )
Just really sad at the thought of never getting to seeing Trent and David perform together (let alone getting to see just one of them), because they are the Billy and Michael I would most want to see, especially together. They are both so brilliant and really have a connection with each other being such close friends, as I'm sure would translate well onto stage. I'm glad that they got to perform together for David's last night, and I wish all the best to David for what will surely be a very bright future. :D :D :D
Maybe I will see Trent and David perform together on another stage later in life! :D

Btw CJ Rochester, I read on the other forum that Trent said "see you David" and David said "see you Trent" - not sure if this is true but the person who wrote this was at the show and would've heard it (unless they were hallucinating or if it was just wishful thinking or something :lol: ) Someone else who was actually at the show can confirm ;)
"She must have been a very special woman..."
"No, she was just me mam."

Melbourne: Josh D, Josh WG
Broadway: Peter, Dayton
London: Harris, Redmand, Ali x3
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for your terrific reviews.

It has been commented on Broadway World that it was "See ya David" "See ya Trent". Some of the people on there thought it was "unprofessional". They really need to get a life :evil: :evil: :evil:
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
bdbop
Small Boy

Post by bdbop »

Finally got to see Billy Elliot earlier this month (actually 6 shows). Was hoping to see all four Billy's, and almost did. But, David, who was scheduled to perform at the last show I saw, ended up going from Billy to the Tall Boy role and Kiril replaced him as Billy.

Anyway, I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the performances of Trent, Kiril and Tommy. Each were unique in their own way. Surprisingly, I may have come out enjoying Tommy the most. I guess being the youngest of them all, he still had that bit of "kid" still in him that tends to fade a bit when boys get to be about 14. I do think Trent and Kiril were more "polished" in the role, but Tommy just had that extra something - perhaps that "goofy" looking kid smile!

All three were tremendous dancers and you could tell that they are among the elite young dancers in the country and deserve the role of Billy. As for their singing, I thought they weren't perfect singers, but perfect singers for the role. I don't think Billy needs to be, or should be, the world's best singer. Again, nothing against their singing, as they all had great voices. It was just that their dancing ability shined a bit above their singing.

I also got to see all three Michael's perform (David, Trevor and Keean), which was sort of nice, as each had their own style as well. Not sure which I liked the most, but probably David, as I had seen the youtube clips and sort of compared the others to his performance.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but it did take me a few performances to figure out what Grandma was looking for. Finally looked in the Playbill and found out. I kept thinking she was saying Pass Key, instead of Pasty.

Perhaps the best comment I heard was from the guy sitting next to me. He and his wife had come in for the US Open Tennis and they were scheduled to see some rather big matches the next day. Anyway, he told me at intermission, “It would be hard pressed for the tennis to be any better than this.”

Overall, I had lots of favorite parts, but I think what resonated the most with me was Billy's smile, when he talked to Mum. Not sure why, but it just did.

I think the nicest person in the cast, if not all of Broadway, is Greg Jbara. Everyone I talked to raved about how nice he was. I had happened to see him in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" a few years ago. When he come out after that show, he mentioned that he was a University of Michigan graduate. As an Ohio State grad, those are "fighting words," as they are our BIG rival. Anyway, I was in charge of a youth wrestling team that was schedule to be in NYC a few weeks later to train for a few days (and attend a performance of the show). So, I sent him one of our team hats - with a big Ohio on it.

After the show, the kids gathered around the stage door to get their playbills signed. At first, the security guard told us to move aside. Then, he saw shirts, which had our team name on them, and told us that we were supposed to go onto the stage. Seems Greg was behind this and all the kids got to stand on a Broadway stage and Greg gave us a short tour.

Fast forward to present and I see Greg at the stage door and he invites me to stick around at the end of one of the shows for a tour of the Billy Elliot set. He also offered to help me get a few things signed by cast members, but I ended up getting them all myself and didn't have to take him up on that offer. Because everyone was so nice about signing, I ended up sending in a nice donation to the Broadway Cares - Actor's Equity Fund, in the name of the Billy Elliot Cast & Crew.

Well, I'll leave you to a bit of fun here with the following story of what happened to me at intermission time (not really though):

I went out to the upstairs lobby thinking I would get a snack, as I was KEANN (keen) on getting something to eat. Well it was extremely crowded and I couldn't get to the JBARA (bar) very easily to see what they were SHELLEYng (selling). If I could only HATCH up some idea to get to the front of the line quicker. Alas, I finally decided it was best to just use my BRAUN to fight my way to the front of the line. I looked closely over what they were selling, hoping they might be HAYDEN (hiding) some KULISH (coolish) type stuff like BOLOGNA sandwiches for a change. In the end, I decided to just get a drink to RETTER (whet) my whistle. While out there, I did see some guy with a strange looking natural KOWALIK (cowlick) in his hair. He said something to me and I tried to CHASE him to let him know what I thought. Eventually, I caught up to him and he told me that I should be MINDLERing (minding) my own business. Seems he was a 22 year old BATCHELOR from South Phily who didn't take too kind to hair comments and wanted to HANNA (hand) me a slap across the face if I didn't leave him alone. So, I decided to venture my way back to my seat and see the sort of DAVIID And Goliath struggle that Billy had going with his dad.

By the way, did you see that Phil MICHALISZYN (Michelson) won the golf tournament the other day? (sorry, only way I could get Mitchell in this thing!).

Hope you enjoyed this fun recap

Bart
Columbus, OH

Return to “Reviews Archive”