Billy

Re: SEPTEMBER REVIEWS US

Post by angelenroute »

Tuesday, September 22, 2009. 7 PM.
Billy: Kiril Kulish
Michael: Trevor Braun
Small Boy: Mitchell Michaliszyn
Tall Boy: Keean Johnson

Welcome back to the second half! The second half OF…my review.

Like with Haydn, I must also say that Greg Jbara is a perfect actor to play Dad. He can do angry and he can do sobbing mess and he can do proud father all when they’re due and all while making us laugh. I was so happy to hear from him after the show that he recently signed an extended contract to stay in the show through September of next year. The show will remain in very good hands with Greg around. Although since he didn’t specify the role of Dad, I couldn’t stop myself from asking if that was in fact the role he’d keep playing. I was 100% certain it was, but I wanted to pitch him an opening. He replied immediately, “Actually, after Haydn leaves I’ll be taking over the role of Mrs. Wilkinson.”

Anyone who’s seen Greg in the role of Angelique knows he’s got the cojones to pull it off! ....................On second thought, bad analogy.

Trevor Braun’s little scene before Dream Ballet was funny once again. When he walks upstage towards Billy with his sarcastic line about what a great Christmas it’s been, the audience smiles so much they laugh a little—it’s their appreciation that young Michael is going to do something--anything again. Trevor has obviously done his part well earlier in the show to have everyone watching him now for every movement and word. He ended his little spins with a split just enough for the audience to realize he’d attempted it before hurting himself. The Nutcracker line went off perfectly. I think this little scene may have been where Trevor did his operatic bit, I can’t remember now.

A note about Dream Ballet’s other star, Stephen Hanna. The guy is just exceptional and he showed no trouble at all pulling and pushing Kiril around. I hadn’t thought of it until it was going on before me, but the one place where Older Billy is flat on the floor and pulling younger Billy around and around him, this must take a significant more muscle power for an older "younger Billy". But Stephen Hanna did marvelously as always. He and Kiril were in perfect sync throughout. It has always been one of my favorite numbers but on Tuesday night, I found it mesmerizing and astounding. When Kiril finished his spins up to Dad’s face, the crowd was cheering and whoo-ing very loudly and some were standing as well. As usual, it alone is one of those moments that could keep us all going back to the show.

Kiril’s electricity is just phenomenal. He’s a master ballet dancer and his movements are so perfectly choreographed with the music, that it’s as if his body is a musical note floating perfectly in the wind of the song. When he finished, he was beaming so much. You got the feeling he knew he had nailed it, and both Kiril AND Billy were so proud of themselves! The audience agreed heartily with a great number of people standing in appreciation.

The Dear Billy reprise. I have to tell you that I have never cried so much at either the earlier Dear Billy scene or the reprise as I did last Tuesday night. Kiril was really crying and it just brought a flood of tears to the entire audience. I’m crying right now at work just thinking of it! It was an incredibly moving theatrical experience.

There were loud gasps when Tony threw the money at the scab and when Billy punched Posh Boy (which I admit seemed like he really did). Poor Keean LOL.

Another first! There was the usual standing ovation at the first curtain call but then the entire audience stayed standing in the dark as the tap encore began! I was so taken back by this. It was like the audience was gripped by the show so tightly that they didn’t realize they could sit down again for this final encore. Quite strange and delightful at the same time—and they stayed like that for at least 30-45 seconds before sitting for the rest.

When the last curtain call was finished, the couple in front of me turned around to me immediately with smiles from ear to ear and totally gushing about how wonderful it was. I gave them a knowing smile and said, “Now you understand why we keep coming back!”

Kiril was outside the stage door pretty quickly. I imagine that on a Tuesday night when they get out an hour early it’s nice to go home fairly quickly too. I told him as he signed my Playbill that we already missed him. He was very smiley and grateful and I couldn’t help but ask him as he was moving on to the next person, “Will we see you for the 1st Anniversary show?” He paused and looked away briefly before telling me he wasn’t sure. I couldn’t tell if he was being coy or just honest; it rode that middle point. =)

Mitchell is so small and adorable! Someone asked if they could take his picture so the woman behind the gate held him up for the camera. It’s mind blowing that this was the same boy working the stage in his various scenes so comfortably. I guess some kids just have an innate talent they can turn on when needed!

At one point then, a man coming out of the Imperial walked past and I heard him say, “After the first 10 minutes, I thought this was a BIG mistake.” I can’t remember what exactly he said after that because he was walking away by then, but it was clear that what he began to say was already in the process of being reversed.

I asked Mrs. Kulish if she’d autograph my Playbill too and she was adamantly against it pointing to her son. She was very sweet and I thanked her for lending us the gift that her son has been.

And then I had the life-changing experience of getting a backstage tour. Now I know some of you have had this experience, but for me this was a first and it was so amazing I wanted to share it with you from my perspective. I also share it for all those on the Forum like me who have not had such an experience and want to know how thrilling it can be. As it was happening, I was telling myself to appreciate every second of it and I did. We walked through the stage door and it was like walking into Narnia. Or to add another comparison, it was like running through the wall on Platform nine and three quarters in the world of Harry Potter. Either way, I had crossed a divide that I never thought I’d be able to cross. A step up here and there, past some cast members and ballet dancers and suddenly I was on stage at The Imperial Theatre on Broadway staring out at the sea of chairs that I would usually occupy.

Also on the stage was Greg Jbara who was speaking with friends from his home state of Michigan, Haydn Gwynne who was speaking with a few people off to the side, and Trevor Braun who was showing a few people around the stage. I extended my hand out to Trevor and said, “Congratulations and welcome!” He smiled and thanked me. He seems very sweet. It didn’t occur to me until after that shaking his hand may not usually be what you’re supposed to do, I don’t know. It just felt natural though. I shook Greg and Haydn’s hands later too so I dunno. =)

I told Greg and his Michigan guests that I worked for Publishers Clearing House and would soon be in their state surprising new winners. It’s a beautiful state. My sister has lived there the past 8 years but is moving back as I write this. Someone asked Greg about Kiril and he showed us where he remembered Kiril came up to him on his arm and where he is now. “He’s 15 going on 25.” It must be bittersweet seeing the boys grow up in the years they get to know them through the show.

I told Haydn too that we already missed her. As always, she shows such genuine gratitude for every compliment, even though she’s probably heard it all 5 million times by now. She’s a true class act.

We also watched as Greg was introduced to a young girl from Australia who does ballet back home. I believe her father told me they’d seen the show back home, not sure at which location. She seemed as thrilled as I was to be on stage there. =)

So Greg showed us around backstage, around both sides of the stage and in the back. He pointed out the floor mics that pick up the tap dancing and more, and showed us how they’re numbered very small on the stage floor. Greg had a nifty laser pointer/flashlight at the ready to help show us what he was referring to throughout the tour. He showed us the back wall of the stage where there’s a slight indent on the wall. Apparently there’s a bathroom set in there that they used in the show during rehearsals. Greg said the show started with a lone miner shaving and singing in that little set as the other miners came out on stage like they still do. “The problem is,” Greg told us, “that guy has to come down from up there and the only way down is by a ladder.” So they decided that it was too disembodied having just the one guy up there and not worth the trouble, so they took it out.

Greg also showed us how the stage slopes and where the dresses from Express are stored up above. He also explained the pulley system that maintains the Thatcher puppet as well as what keeps Billy controlled as he flies through the air. He explained the system is so advanced that it really would only take a single finger to move it up and down, but that they have two people manning the controls anytime Billy is hooked up. “And knock on wood, we haven’t lost a single Billy yet.” He and others began knocking on wood all over.

Off to the right I saw Billy’s bag with a loaf of Wonder Bread sticking out of it. I know in the kitchen scene in the beginning, a loaf of bread gets thrown across the stage from one miner to another, so I guess they keep it in the bag that has to end up by the stove anyway. I of course reached over and touched the bag with one finger. Strange how something so small like that can be such a thrilling thing to do. =)

It was just an incredible experience I’m so grateful to have had. Greg was kind enough to let us pose with him on the stage for photos as well.

I apologize that my review has taken me so long to write, and I’m sure I’ve left some things out. It’s just been an extremely busy work week and weekend. I look forward to catching up now on posts and reviews that have been posted recently.

Hoping you are all well!
Sean

p.s. I haven't cross-checked my list of words. I hope I used them all. =)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Your reviews are my absolutely favourite to read, so detailed, but easy to read and really enjoyable :D
x
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

theluji wrote:Ive finished my mini billython(24,25,26 mat & eve) and came back to Japan.
I could not attend David's final show but I was lucky enough.
Because I was able to see all Billys :)
One thing I wanted to see Tommy's Electricity...so I have to go to Chicago next year.
I hope his ankle get well soon. and for Trent,he did a great job in such as unusual situation.
Sorry for the ending without standing ovation,audience around me,what happened to 1st boy?
why why why? maybe they could not keep focus to watching the show.
I want to write a review more but getting tired after long flight.
so I will try to write in this weekend.

Hi ! Todd.
I think I was just right front of you on Friday night, my seat was D13 in left orch.
and I was one of standing for applause after Kiril's Erectricity.
I wanted to say hello to you if I knew you are there before the show.
We almost saw the same shows like as
Todd wrote:For the first time ever, I got a bit teary during "Express Yourself" of all numbers, knowing that David Bologna was doing the scene for the final time with David Alvarez. As always, they looked to be having a great time up there with big smiles all around.
I got exactly same feeling and most impressed scene for me.

Thank you for your heartfelt thoughts, theluji!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Bart for your reviews. I'm so glad you enjoyed all the shows that you attended.

You are quite correct when you say that Greg Jbara is the nicest guy on Broadway.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Great reviews Bart and theluji. Thanks. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Thank you everyone for your great reviews - a joy to read!

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Billy Whiz wrote:Thanks everybody for your terrific reviews.

It has been commented on Broadway World that it was "See ya David" "See ya Trent". Some of the people on there thought it was "unprofessional". They really need to get a life :evil: :evil: :evil:

Do you have the exact link, BW?
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Thank you so much, Todd. Your report was very evocative and quite beautiful. It filled me with longing and even greater disappointment that I was not able to be at that show. It sounds like it was the capstone experience it should have been. A fitting send off for David and the Whylands.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

I love long reviews!! Many thanks, Bart!
And I enjoyed your clever story!
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Terrific review, angelroute. Many many thanks.

I was at the same show and the same life-altering stage tour and, I can tell everyone, angelroute did a redolent and meticulous job at re-creating the experience.

Return to “Reviews Archive”